A civil trial in Las Vegas involving the diabetes drug Actos has been resolved, a lawyer’s spokeswoman said Friday.
The product liability case went to trial nearly two months ago and centered on two men, Maurice Iorio and George Decou, who were diagnosed with bladder cancer after taking the drug.
Iorio, 74, once worked as a bailiff in Clark County District Court. He died in November 2013 from complications of bladder cancer.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs had indicated they planned to seek a $2 billion verdict against Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., the Japanese company that makes Actos, and the company’s American subsidiaries.
On Friday, Charlotte Evans, a spokeswoman for attorney Robert Eglet, said the case had been resolved. She said she could make no other comment.
Eglet represents Mary Iorio, the widow of Maurice Iorio. A message left for Decou’s lawyer, William Kemp, was not returned.
The trial was dark Thursday and Friday while District Judge Jerry Wiese II attended a convention, but the judge’s executive assistant said it was scheduled to resume Monday morning.
Thousands of people across the country have filed lawsuits against Takeda, which makes the prescription drug pioglitazone under the trade name Actos. They have accused the company of failing to inform consumers and medical professionals about the risk of bladder cancer associated with the use of Actos, which went on sale in the United States in 1999.
Company representatives have insisted the drug is safe.
Contact Carri Geer Thevenot at email@example.com or 702-384-8710. Find her on Twitter: @CarriGeer.