About 160 UNLV students were displaced early Monday morning after a trash can fire in their dormitory, an official said Tuesday.
The fire in a second-floor restroom in the Dayton North Complex set off the facility’s smoke alarm and sprinkler system, causing water damage, said Tony Allen, University of Nevada, Las Vegas spokesman.
Some 133 students were relocated to the Williams Complex and the rest went to friends and relatives, he said. The university has conference housing for visitors.
About 100 students were to return to their rooms on the third and fourth floors sometime Tuesday, Allen said. The rest will continue to stay at the Williams Complex until water damage is cleaned up and rooms are restored.
The fire was determined to be accidental. An estimate of the damages was not available Tuesday.
A professional restoration company on Wednesday will visit the Dayton North Complex to assess the damages, he said.
Contact Yesenia Amaro at email@example.com or 702-383-0440.