The Las Vegas fire department on Sunday battled a blaze at a home near Valley View Boulevard and Sahara Avenue.
Fire crews were called about 4:30 p.m. to the 2100 block of Los Altos Street where there were flames coming out of windows in the back of the house, the fire department said.
Firefighters said the blaze spread into the house. A neighboring yard caught fire when nearby power lines went down. NV Energy was called, the department said.
Firefighters attacked the stubborn flames, which spread into the attic and burned through the roof. But debris in the backyard, coupled with downed power lines, made it impossible for fire crews to work.
Firefighter’s main concern at that point was to keep the fire from spreading to the other nearby homes, the department said, but within approximately 30 minutes, firefighters had most of the fire confined to the attic and roof.
Most of the fire trucks were released from the scene about 7 p.m., the fire department said, but units were prepared to stay on the scene for several hours to watch the home in case a hotspot ignited again.
Fire investigators suspected the fire started in one of the rear bedrooms of the house, but they were unable to talk to the occupant of that room, the department said.
One of the occupants cut their arm while escaping. They were taken to the hospital for treatment and later released.
The house also had heat and smoke damage, which was estimated at $85,000. None of the other homes in the area were damaged. The American Red Cross is assisting five adults and one infant that live in the house.
Contact Ricardo Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org and 702-383-0381. Find him on Twitter: @rickytwrites.