weather icon Partly Cloudy
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

Garage fire damages home, destroys vehicles

Two people were displaced after barely escaping a garage fire in their home in southwest Las Vegas early Friday morning, Las Vegas Fire Department said.

Just after 1:30 a.m., firefighters received multiple calls of a house on fire at 8913 Rocky Shore Dr., near Fort Apache and Desert Inn roads. Flames were seen coming from the three-car garage of the two-story home.

Las Vegas Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said the fire was extremely intense, but crews were able to get it under control in less than 10 minutes.

The couple were asleep upstairs when the fire began. Szymanski said the man woke up because he felt like someone was trying to choke him as he could not catch his breath. He realized the room was filled with thick, black smoke and woke up the woman and they both ran downstairs.

The couple saw flames coming from underneath the kitchen door to the garage and managed to escape through a patio door at the back of the house.

The man went back in the house to rescue their pet cat, but was forced out by the thick smoke. The cat’s whereabouts were not immediately known.

Szymanski said the smoke alarms did not activate during the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental and officials believe it started on or near an all-terrain vehicle parked inside the garage. The official cause could not be determined because of the intensity of the fire and the extensive damage it caused.

The garage was gutted and two cars parked inside the garage and two cars outside were destroyed. Damages were estimated to $75,000.

The man was treated and released for minor smoke inhalation. The couple are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Contact reporter Cassandra Taloma at ctaloma@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.