weather icon Mostly Clear
RJ App
Vegas News, Alerts, ePaper

House fire in North Las Vegas caused by improper disposal of fireworks

The North Las Vegas Fire Department responded to its third fireworks-related blaze late Sunday night when neighbors of a home in the 5700 block of Awakening Street reported seeing flames shooting from the garage.

The owner of the house, near Losee Road and Tropical Parkway, who was not home at the time, told firefighters that fireworks debris was allowed to cool and then placed in a plastic bag in the garage.

Investigators determined that improper disposal of the fireworks sparked the fire, which caused $125,000 in damage to the home and vehicles inside the garage.

Fire officials warned residents that fireworks debris must be submerged in a bucket of water to be extinguished.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.