Rap magnate Marion “Suge” Knight has been hospitalized in Las Vegas after he fell during a medical examination at the Clark County Detention Center.
Meanwhile, a judge set bail at $75,000 on Monday for Knight, who was arrested last week in connection with a California robbery and an outstanding traffic warrant in Las Vegas.
Knight was expected to post bail and address the charge in California as soon as he is released from the hospital, according to his attorneys Richard Schonfeld and Julie Raye.
Knight, 49, blacked out Thursday in his jail cell, and while he was being examined in a medical unit, he fell and hit the back of his head and spine on a pole, his attorneys said. He was taken to University Medical Center, where doctors found a blood clot in his lung, according to Raye.
Knight and comedian Micah “Katt” Williams are suspects in a Beverly Hills robbery, according to the Los Angeles district attorney’s office. Authorities in Southern California said the pair stole a camera from a paparazzo Sept. 5 outside a studio.
Beverly Hills police spokesman Lt. Lincoln Hoshino said the celebrity photographer, a woman, suffered minor injuries when the camera was stolen.
The alleged robbery occurred just after Knight was released from a hospital after being shot six times Aug. 24 at an MTV awards party in Los Angeles. Raye said the blood clot may have been related to the shooting.
Schonfeld said Knight was unaware of the California warrant, which was issued less than two days before his arrest.
Prosecutor Danae Adams said Knight’s bail had been set at $500,000 in California.
In arguing for bail in Las Vegas, Schonfeld said the high amount was set in California on a felony charge “only because it’s Mr. Knight.”
“We read about this all the time, mostly coming out of Los Angeles,” Schonfeld said, “where celebrities take somebody’s phone because they’re taking a picture or celebrities take somebody’s camera. But what we don’t read is that the celebrity gets charged with a felony.”
Knight could face 30 years to life in prison, if convicted, the Los Angeles DA’s office said, because of a prior assault conviction. Williams could face up to seven years behind bars.
Contact reporter David Ferrara at email@example.com or 702-380-1039. Find him on Twitter: @randompoker.