Three children killed in mobile home fire identified

The coroner’s office has identified the three children who died in a mobile home fire earlier this month.

David Gouailhardou, 2, Skylar Lafia, 2, and Aryana Lafia, 1, died when their trailer caught fire June 15 at Van’s Trailer Oasis, 3610 Las Vegas Blvd. North, near Lamb Boulevard.

Amy Hatzenpiller, 26, Shane Gouailhardou, 22, and the children were sleeping in their home when the fire started at about 10:20 a.m., fire officials said. By the time firefighters had the blaze under control, the children were dead, and two mobile homes were destroyed.

Hatzenpiller was the mother of Skylar and Aryana. Gouailhardou was David’s father. The parents escaped the burning home and joined neighbors in trying to rescue the children, fire officials said.

Neighbors and friends said the two adults had lived together in the home for about four months and had been dating for about six months. They said that both were good parents and that they couldn’t be at fault for the deaths of their children.

Clark County fire investigators and agents with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were investigating what started the fire. Las Vegas police also were investigating.

The cause and manner of the children’s deaths was pending.

Also on Tuesday, the state released the child fatality disclosure forms for the two families, which both had histories with Clark County’s child protective services.

In April, child welfare workers investigated an abuse allegation involving Hatzenpiller’s children. They ruled the case unsubstantiated because the alleged perpetrator did not care for or have custody of the children, according to the report. The case was closed May 7.

Hatzenpiller faced four neglect allegations in 2005 and 2006 involving another child. Three were investigated and deemed unsubstantiated by child welfare workers. The fourth allegation came from out of state, and county investigators closed the case because they could not find the family.

In June 2011, child protective services received an abuse allegation involving David. But the information in the allegation was not enough to start an investigation, and the case was closed as "information only," according to the report.

Gouailhardou also had contact with the agency in 2006 as a 16-year-old a victim of neglect. The allegation was substantiated, and he was made a ward of the county until his family completed its case plan in 2009.

Review-Journal reporter Kyle Potter contributed to this report. Contact reporter Brian Haynes at bhaynes@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0281.

ad-high_impact_4
TOP NEWS
ad-infeed_1x2_1
News Headlines
ad-infeed_1
ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Events
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like