One ticket sold in Maryland has won the $731.1 million Powerball jackpot, powerball.com announced Wednesday night.
The jackpot was estimated at $730 million, but the final payout was higher based on sales, Powerball officials said.
On Thursday morning, Powerball oifficials said Coney Market in Lonaconing, Maryland, sold the winning ticket. The rural community is about 15 miles southwest of Cumberland, Maryland.
Wednesday’s numbers were: 40-53-60-68-69 and the Powerball was 22. The jackpot drops to $20 million for Saturday’s drawing.
The Powerball jackpot was the fifth-largest ever. The odds of winning was one in 292.2 million.
Most winners opt for cash prizes, which for Powerball would be about $546 million.
Thousands of people have flocked to the Primm Valley Lotto Store at Primm to buy Mega Millions and Powerball lottery tickets. The store is about 45 miles southwest of Las Vegas along Interstate 15 on the Nevada-California border. It is the closest one to the Las Vegas Valley selling the tickets.
Mega Millions jackpot
No one hit the Mega Millions jackpot Tuesday night, and the prize rose to $970 million for Friday’s drawing. The odds of winning is one in 302.5 million.
Nevada joins Utah, Alabama, Alaska and Hawaii in not offering Mega Millions or Powerball.
The two lotteries are both played in Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Powerball also is offered in Puerto Rico.
— The Associated Press contributed to this report.
10 LARGEST U.S. JACKPOTS
(Before Wednesday’s Powerball drawing)
1. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
2. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, South Carolina)
3. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, Wisconsin)
4. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
5. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
6. $656 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (three tickets, from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
7. $648 million, Mega Millions, Dec. 17, 2013 (two tickets, from California and Georgia)
8. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (one ticket, from Florida)
9. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (two tickets, from Arizona and Missouri)
10. $564.1 million, Powerball, Feb. 11, 2015 (three tickets, from North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Texas)