State of emergency declared in Sparks, Washoe County ahead of expected severe flooding in northern Nevada

SPARKS — Residents and business owners throughout the Reno-Sparks area filled tens of thousands of sandbags to help protect against what’s expected to be the region’s worst flooding in more than a decade on the heels of a storm that dumped 6 feet of snow this week atop the Sierra Nevada.

The city of Sparks declared a state of emergency and the Washoe County Commission followed with a county-wide declaration delivered Friday afternoon to Gov. Brian Sandoval to help expedite the use of all available resources before the Truckee River begins rising above its banks late Sunday or early Monday.

“We had a series of briefings this morning and confirmed current models indicating by Sunday we will be in a flood event,” Washoe County Emergency Manager Aaron Kenneston told reporters Friday.

The National Weather Service on Friday issued a flood watch for the greater Lake Tahoe and Reno-Carson City-Minden areas for the period from Saturday night through Monday afternoon, warning that heavy snowfall and rain is expected to cause flooding along the Truckee and Carson Rivers, their tributaries and other creeks and streams.

The flood warning goes into effect Monday along the Carson River in nearby Lyon, Douglas and Churchill counties.

Authorities said the combined onslaught of heavy snowfall at high elevations and intense rain at lower levels could trigger the worse flooding of the Truckee since 2005-06, when 5 feet of water inundated the Sparks industrial area. Workers on Friday were trying to secure storage drums filled with hazardous materials to stop them from floating away as they have in past floods.

“They won’t only go into the river, they will be floating around the city of Sparks,” Acting Sparks Mayor Ron Smith said. “And when we find those barrels, we don’t know what is in them.”

The area is also home to marijuana growing facilities that are at risk of being flooded.

Scott Stites, who works at a metal shop in the Sparks industrial area near the Truckee River, was among dozens of people who braved temperatures in the teens to load sandbags into pickup trucks on Friday. A former resident of San Diego, he said he’d never seen major flooding before and wasn’t necessarily worried but wanted to take precautions.

“You hope for the best and plan for the worst,” he said.

The flooding isn’t expected to be as bad as in 1997, when most of the downtown Reno casino district was underwater, Reno-Tahoe International Airport was closed and damage totaled $1 billion across six western Nevada counties.

But authorities said it should rival the most serious event since then — the 2005-06 flood that swamped the Sparks industrial area just east of Reno and south of U.S. Interstate 80. It’s home to hundreds of commercial businesses that employ 25,000 workers.

Authorities set up more than dozen locations around Reno and Sparks where local residents and business owners could fill sand bags to help protect against flood waters. More than 50,000 bags had been filled by midday Friday, acting Sparks city manager Neil Koutz said.

The Truckee River’s flows in Sparks should peak at about 5 feet above flood stage at about 5 a.m. Monday, the service said.

Sparks officials announced late Friday they would begin to close roads around the industrial area and some Interstate 80 southbound off-ramps at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Authorities urged residents to stay away from the swift, churning waters throughout the weekend.

“I know that it can look incredibly awesome, but it is very dangerous,” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said. “It is moving extremely fast and it is very, very cold.”

“If possible, this would be a great weekend to stay home,” Kenneston said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ad-high_impact_4
Local
Construction for new 51s ballpark underway
New home of the Las Vegas 51s is planned to be finished by March 2019 in Summerlin according to team president Don Logan. (Marcus Villagran/Review-Journal) @brokejournalist
Underground home was built as Cold War-era hideaway
The underground house at 3970 Spencer Street is one of the valley’s most unusual homes built 26 feet underground in 1978 by Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson, who, planned to survive the end of the world there.
Lip Smacking Foodie Tours takes you where the locals go
Donald Contursi talks about Lip Smacking Foodie Tours, which offers walking tours of restaurants on and off Las Vegas Boulevard with food samples and tidbits of history about the places they visit.
Bump stock manufacturers under fire
The Justice Department said last month that it had started the process to amend federal firearms regulations to clarify that federal law defines bump stocks as machine guns.
Art Bell’s Top 10 Shows
A selection of radio host Art Bell’s most popular shows.
Longtime Las Vegas attorney John Momot dies at age 74
Criminal defense attorney John Momot, who represented mob figures and even played himself in the movie “Casino,” has died.
David Copperfield in court after man injured during magic trick
The attorney for a British man who is suing illusionist David Copperfield said his client suffered serious injuries after being called on stage during Copperfield's show at MGM Grand.
5 things connecting Las Vegas and Marilyn Monroe
1. Marilyn Monroe, known then as Norma Jeane, obtained her first divorce in Las Vegas at the age of 20 on September 13, 1946. 2. According to some biographers, Monroe lived at 604 S. 3rd Street for four months during the summer of 1946. The house has since been torn down and is now the site of a parking lot. 3. In 1954, Monroe almost married Joe DiMaggio in Las Vegas but the wedding was called off last minute. The wedding was to be held at the Hotel El Rancho Vegas which was located on the southwest corner of Sahara Avenue and Las Vegas Boulevard. 4. Las Vegas has at least one road dedicated to the star. Marilyn Monroe Avenue is located in east Las Vegas and intersects with Betty Davis Street and Cary Grant Court. 5. There are currently more than 20 Marilyn Monroe impersonators for hire in the Las Vegas Valley.
Sir Richard Branson announces purchase of Hard Rock Hotel
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, has acquired the Hard Rock Hotel with partners and plans to turn it into a Virgin-branded property by the end of 2019.
3 Centennial High School students killed in Calif. crash (Full)
Three Centennial High School students were killed Thursday morning in Southern California when their vehicle was struck by a suspected drunken driver while they were enjoying their spring break, according to a family member of one of the victims.
Retail Restroom Sexual Assault Suspect
Las Vegas police are asking for help finding a man they said groped a woman in a south Las Vegas Valley restroom. (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department)
Calvary Christian Learning Academy, “There was no fair warning.”
Samantha O’Brien, whose three-year-old daughter attended the Calvary Christian Learning Academy daycare, found out Monday night when her daughter’s teacher called about the school closing.
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like