Organizers of the Global Gaming Expo said early Monday the gaming industry’s largest convention and trade show, which had pre-conference events that began Sunday and Monday, would open as planned Tuesday despite the Strip shooting tragedy.
Geoff Freeman, president and CEO of the sponsoring American Gaming Association, issued a statement Monday that the show would go on.
“The American Gaming Association and our Global Gaming Expo partner, Reed Exhibitions, are closely monitoring the horrific events that took place in Las Vegas earlier this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with those that were affected and with the people of Las Vegas and Nevada,” Freeman said.
“G2E annually welcomes 26,000 visitors and is scheduled to open, as planned, (Monday) with the G2E conference program, while exhibitor move-in continues for the show to open tomorrow (Tuesday). The AGA and Reed Exhibitions will be in constant contact with local and national law enforcement and our host, Las Vegas Sands. We will closely monitor the situation and safety remains our priority,” he said.
“The gaming industry is a tight-knit community and Las Vegas is the beating heart of our operations,” Freeman said. “The AGA and Reed Exhibitions will offer our full assistance as the city recovers and we will strive to honor the victims of this tragic event.”
Around 26,000 people are expected to attend the 17th annual three-day event at the Sands Expo and Convention Center through Thursday.
One of the educational panels scheduled at the event may receive some additional interest — “Active Shooter: Violence in the Workplace.” The hourlong panel, directed primarily at tribal casinos, will be moderated Thursday by Juan Baca, vice president of security and entertainment at the Sycuan Casino in El Cajon, California.
This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.
Contact Richard N. Velotta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-477-3893. Follow @RickVelotta on Twitter.