Apartment fire displaces 8 Henderson families

Eight families were displaced by a fire Monday afternoon at a Henderson apartment complex, according to the Henderson Fire Department.

Firefighters were called about 1:20 p.m. Monday to the Highland Village Apartments at 301 Taylor St., near Lake Mead Parkway and Boulder Highway.

Flames weren’t visible from outside the structure, but the odor of smoke led crews to a fire in the attic space above one of the apartments, the fire department wrote in a release Monday evening.

The resident who lived in the apartment where the attic fire started was not home at the time firefighters were called. A neighbor heard a fire alarm, smelled smoke and called 911.

The fire, which originated from an overheated exhaust fan, was confined to the attic of one apartment and didn’t extend to neighboring units, the release said.

No injuries were reported in connection with the blaze. The displaced families are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The fire caused an estimated $270,000 in damage.

Contact Kimber Laux at klaux@reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0381. Find her on Twitter: @lauxkimber

News Headlines
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like