Officials are blaming an overheated ventilation motor in Las Vegas’ Excalibur casino for a smoky smell and an evacuation in the wee hours of the morning.
MGM resorts spokesman Gordon Absher says one of the Las Vegas Strip casino’s four towers was evacuated after alarms went off about 2 a.m. Tuesday. KTNV reports guests were allowed back in about 4 a.m.
Absher says there was no actual fire, but the smoke smell spread because it started in the ventilation system.
The spokesman says the machinery was nearly fixed a few hours later.
Absher said the casino has some of the most advanced fire prevention systems in the world.