Family, neighbor stunned by spree

Jeffrey J. Hull was the kind of person to bring a thirsty garbage man a glass of water.

And he never gave indications that he would go on a western Las Vegas Valley rampage Sunday, groping women, attempting kidnappings and shooting at people before killing himself.

So said a neighbor and his brother on Tuesday.

Hull “couldn’t have been sweeter,” especially to his mother, with whom he lived in northwest Las Vegas, said his brother, Jonathan Hull.

“It’s heartbreaking to us that he affected so many people,” Jonathan Hull said of his brother, who killed no one but threatened many. “He painted this picture and acted like a monster, but that wasn’t him.”

Jonathan Hull couldn’t pinpoint the root of his brother’s condition, saying he appeared fine Sunday morning before the two-hour crime spree began.

But the 42-year-old man did have his problems.

Jeffrey Hull, a security guard, was unemployed. He had filed for bankruptcy. His father died earlier this year, and he was being treated for a yearlong bout with anxiety and depression, the brother said.

Court records show Jeffrey Hull filed for bankruptcy in June and listed the 2005 Volkswagen Beetle and 9 mm handgun he used in his crime spree as assets.

At the time of the filings, he indicated he was an unemployed security guard and had $38,000 in medical bills and debts to several banks.

Jonathan Hull said that Barton Security was his brother’s last listed employer and that he did odd jobs to earn money.

He said Hull, an Air Force veteran, was on medication and under the care of a doctor at the VA Medical Center.

A neighbor who asked not to be identified said Jeffrey Hull seemed sadder because his father, David Hull, passed away this year, adding that the entire family is close.

Jonathan Hull said he didn’t believe the bankruptcy, death of his father or employment status set Jeffrey Hull on his path of violence.

“I can’t see that’s what led to what happened,” he said. “If it had, it would have to have happened in the preceding weeks.”

The family’s neighbor said she was the first victim of Jeffrey Hull’s rampage. She was sitting in her car when he reached through the window and groped her. When she said she was going to call the police, he drove away.

The woman said they had lived nearby for years. The family brought cookies over during Christmas time.

Jeffrey Hull was always friendly and would offer the garbage man water on hot days.

“You could tell he was different, but he was never aggressive,” she said. “His family, they are good people. Nobody deserves this.

“I am praying for them.”

Jonathan Hull said he hopes the victims and their families can recover from Sunday’s incidents.

“We’re very sorry and we hope one day — whenever that is — their lives will be normal again,” he said.

Review-Journal writer Brian Haynes contributed to this report. Contact reporter Maggie Lillis at or 702-383-0279.


News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like