The only man still jailed in the O.J. Simpson armed robbery case posted bail, and a lawyer for one of his co-defendants asked prosecutors on Monday for all materials related to the sports memorabilia heist.
Charles Cashmore posted $28,000 bail late Sunday, but remained behind bars at the Clark County Detention Center awaiting assignment to a house arrest case officer, according to a court official and his lawyer, Edward Miley.
Cashmore, 40, of Las Vegas, was expected to be freed today or Wednesday, Miley said.
Co-defendant Michael Mc-Clinton’s lawyer filed documents asking prosecutors to turn over copies of tapes, transcripts and statements of co-defendants involved in the case.
“There are multiple conspiracies charged,” attorney William Terry said in his request. “The issue arises … as to the state of mind of each of the alleged participants.”
A spokesman for Clark County District Attorney David Roger said he could not immediately comment.
A Las Vegas police spokesman said the tapes and documents police have collected are evidence and would not be made public.
“At this point we are not releasing any audio or videotapes because of the ongoing nature of the investigation,” Officer Bill Cassell said.
Terry’s court filing came three days after Tom Riccio, a California memorabilia dealer who arranged the Sept. 13 meeting between Simpson and two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room, gave several recordings to police.
Riccio’s attorney, Ryan Okabe, has not confirmed what was on the recordings. Riccio leaked clips last week to the celebrity gossip Web site TMZ.com depicting Simpson cursing and yelling during what police say was an armed robbery. Another clip had the dealers discussing Simpson’s fate and how much money they might make from the incident.
Prosecutors accuse Simpson of leading the five men who burst into a hotel room at the Palace Station displayed at least one gun, and stole autographed footballs and other collectibles.O.J. SimpsonNews & information