The Internet is proving to be a valuable resource for those looking for information about the Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti and those wanting to make donations to the relief efforts there.
Anyone wondering just how Facebook and Twitter could serve a real purpose, should look into what’s happening on these popular social networking sites since the massive earthquake hit Tuesday. To follow the Twitteratti, go to twitter.com and search for #HAITI. You’ll get every message on Twitter that includes that hashtag search. There is plenty, so be ready to scroll for a while.
One of the items I am seeing in many online channels is a message about donating via a text message. The posts on both Facebook and Twitter include this information: "To make a $10 donation to the International Red Cross for Haiti earthquake relief, text HAITI to 90999. This is not a scam. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/01/13/help-haiti"
The link and blog are legitimate, and lead to a page with additional information on donating to the relief fund.
– You can donate online to the Red Cross here:
Visit the Red Cross home page:
– Yele Haiti is an organization founded by musician Wyclef Jean to improve the quality of education, health, environment and community
(http://www.yele.org) or text YELE to 501501 to donate $5.
– The Center for International Disaster Information has a portal with links to several relief options:
– Global Giving has information about the disaster on their site, their Twitter feed and Facebook group page:
– AmeriiCares provides medicine, medical supplies and aid. To donate, call 1-800-486-HELP or visit their site.
– Care is a humanitarian organization with a focus on fighting global poverty. You can donate by calling 1-800-521-CARE or visit their site:
– Doctors Without Borders delivers medical care to people in crisis. This group plans to send 70 additional doctors and medical to Haiti. You can donate by calling 1-888-392-0392 or by visiting their site:
– Direct Relief International provides medical attention. Donations will go towards medical aid, supplies and equipment in Haiti. To donate call 1-805-964-4767 or 1-800-676-1638 or visit their site:
Other groups providing relief and accepting donations include:
– Medical Teams International
– Save the Children
– Catholic Relief Services
– International Relief Teams
– Mercy Corps
– Operation Blessing International
– Operation USA
– The Salvation Army
– World Concern
– World Food Programme