IN BRIEF

SATURDAY COLLAPSE

52-year-old hiker dies on trail in Colorado

Foul play is not suspected in the weekend death of a hiker who collapsed and died on the Arapaho Pass Trail in Boulder County, Colo.

Authorities say 52-year-old Joseph L. Guillo of Highlands Ranch died Saturday morning about a half-mile up the trail. Other hikers performed CPR, but he could not be revived.

Authorities said the hiker’s death is not suspicious, but an investigation is planned to determine how he died.

MYSTERIOUS TEXT MESSAGES

Missing L.A. woman found in Colorado

A 24-year-old Los Angeles woman who had sent family members text messages indicating that she was in danger has been found unharmed in Colorado.

Los Angeles police said Silvia Mardini, who lives in the Mar Vista area, was found Sunday in Routt County and was being reunited with her family.

Police said that Mardini had been seen running errands on Friday and that family members became concerned for Mardini’s welfare on Saturday after receiving the text messages from her.

Officials say no suspects are in custody. Detectives with the police department’s Robbery-Homicide Division are investigating the circumstances surrounding Mardini’s disappearance.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS

71-year-old Californian dies from swine flu

Health officials say a fourth person has died from swine flu in Marin County, Calif.

County health officers said the 71-year-old man, who died Thursday, had pre-existing medical conditions that made him vulnerable to the H1N1 virus. Officials would not say what the conditions were.

Marin County’s other swine flu victims include a 55-year-old man from San Rafael, a 33-year-old pregnant woman and a 78-year-old man.

Anju Goel, the county’s deputy public health officer, said the county has had 35 confirmed and 70 probable cases of swine flu.

But officials suspect more cases have occurred. Tests to confirm swine flu are performed in special circumstances only.

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE

ICBM test a success, Air Force official says

The Air Force reports it successfully has launched a Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missile from a California base, firing it to targets in the Pacific Ocean.

Sgt. Benjamin Rojek said the ICBM was launched at 9:01 a.m. Sunday from Vandenberg Air Force Base. He said it carried one unarmed re-entry vehicle that hit its target near the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, some 4,200 miles away.

The Air Force said the launch was a test to check the weapon system’s reliability and accuracy.

ad-high_impact_4
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
ad-infeed_1
ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Events
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like