ad-fullscreen

IN BRIEF

NEAR LAMB AND CHEYENNE

Motorcyclist killed in collision with pickup

A motorcyclist was struck and killed by a pickup driver who fled the scene Thursday night.

Las Vegas police said 55-year-old Donald Charles Gutschall Jr. of Las Vegas was riding a Harley-Davidson riding north on Lincoln Road north of Alto Road, near Lamb Boulevard and Cheyenne Avenue.

At 10:03 p.m. he was struck by a 1995 Chevrolet S-10 truck traveling south on Lincoln, police said. The driver of the pickup, who was not identified, fled the scene and abandoned the truck in a parking lot a block away.

Gutschall died at the scene.

SWENSON AND TWAIN

Pedestrian struck, killed by pickup

A pedestrian died Friday after being struck by a pickup in an early-morning accident near the intersection of Swenson Street and Twain Avenue.

The 45-year-old man was walking west across Swenson just north of Twain when he was hit by a 2007 Chevy Silverado driven by 46-year-old Louis Preziosi, according to Las Vegas police. The man was not walking in the marked crosswalk, police said.

The driver told police he was unable to stop. He hit the pedestrian about 4:35 a.m.

The pedestrian, who was not identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The accident was the Police Department’s 34th traffic-related fatality this year.

JUDICIAL VACANCIES

Finalists chosen for Justice Court judges

A judicial committee Friday picked six finalists for two open seats on the Las Vegas Justice Court.

Chosen were Lynn Avants, James Gubler, Vincent Ochoa, Lynn Robinson, Joseph Sciscento and Melanie Andress Tobiasson.

Their names will be forwarded to the Clark County Commission, which is expected in June to choose two to serve as justices of the peace until 2011. The positions will then be filled by the candidates who won the seats in the 2010 election.

The positions came open in 2008 after Justices of the Peace Douglas Smith and Abbi Silver were elected to District Court seats.

STATEWIDE CASES STAND AT 28

Seven more swine flu cases in Las Vegas area

Health officials said seven more people have been infected with swine flu virus in the Las Vegas area, including a 6-year-old boy who was hospitalized with mild symptoms.

The new tally brought the number of confirmed cases in Nevada to 28.

The state Health Division said there haven’t been any deaths in Nevada from the H1N1 virus, and the severity of illness for those affected has generally been mild.

Southern Nevada Health District spokeswoman Stephanie Bethel said other than the boy, none of the newly identified patients — males ages 16, 19, 24 and 35, and women ages 25 and 53 — were hospitalized.

Health officials previously reported 14 swine flu cases in Clark County, four in Reno, two in Carson City and one in Lyon County.

In the United States, there are now over 4,700 probable and confirmed cases of swine flu, and 173 hospitalizations and four deaths, said Dr. Daniel Jernigan of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The tally doesn’t include a fifth death that Texas officials said Friday was due to swine flu.

section-ads_high_impact_4
TOP NEWS
ad-315×600
News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Events
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like