EAST VALLEY BLAZE
Home gutted after grease catches fire
Four people were displaced Friday after their east valley home caught fire.
The Las Vegas Fire Department responded to the home at 325 Lehman Street, near Sandhill and Bonanza roads, at 12:52 p.m. The fire gutted most of the home’s interior; the damage was estimated at $125,000.
When firefighters arrived, smoke and flames were coming out of the doors and windows of the one-story wood frame house, Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski said. The fire started when the residents were cooking hamburgers and the grease ignited, he said.
Cooking accidents are the leading cause of fires in the Las Vegas Valley, he said. A woman was sent to the hospital Friday after a cooking fire at another home, 1840 N. Decatur Ave., inflicted second-degree burns on her arms and legs.
FATAL TRAFFIC ACCIDENT
Two killed in crash of pickup, automobile
Two people died Friday evening after the car they were in was hit by a pickup exiting a Strip hotel.
The pickup was turning left from Four Seasons Drive onto Las Vegas Boulevard when it crashed into the driver’s side of a small compact car, Las Vegas police said.
The male driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. The car’s female passenger died en route to the hospital.
The driver of the truck, Michael Burton, 40, of Las Vegas was unhurt, police said.