Killer gets 25 years to life in torture, slaying

Michael Guarino, a Las Vegas electrician, spent the final 30 minutes of his life on his knees, with a gun pointed at him, facing a wall.

Before the sun rose on Aug. 8, 2005, authorities believe Gilberto Carillo, 23, and three women lured him into Room 122 of the Las Vegas Hotel, 209 N. Seventh Street, where Carillo tortured and killed Guarino.

On Wednesday, District Judge David Wall sentenced Carillo to 25 years to life in prison. Carillo had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and first-degree kidnapping with use of a deadly weapon.

“I was hoping he would get life (without parole), or death,” Guarino’s mother, Linda, said after the sentencing. “Even that (death) doesn’t make up for it, but I just worry about these people on the street again.”

The sentence had been agreed upon by prosecutors David Stanton and Sam Bateman and Carillo’s defense attorneys, Robert Langford and Susan Burke.

Carillo told the judge he was on methamphetamine and believed Guarino had sexually assaulted Krystal Reyes, his girlfriend at the time.

“I wasn’t eating, I was hallucinating, and I had a fit of rage,” Carillo said.

He apologized to his mother, Guarino’s family and his co-defendants, who he said should not go to prison.

Reyes, Hayley Wilder and Nicole Kilburn watched as Guarino, 36, was forced to drink tequila, say prayers and listen to Reyes describe how he was going to die, according to grand jury testimony from Las Vegas police who interviewed the women.

The three told police that Guarino begged for his life. Then, authorities say, Carillo stabbed Guarino in the back and shot a bullet at close range into the center of Guarino’s forehead.

“These women were just there,” Carillo said in court Wednesday. “I’m pleading guilty. I’ll do my time, and if I do get parole, I’ll probably be a different man, an older person, and I’ll learn from my mistakes.”

Wilder had been at a party that night with Guarino before they picked up Kilburn and drove to a parking lot across from the Las Vegas Hotel. There, Wilder had Guarino wait while she and Kilburn went to their room in the hotel, according to court documents.

Carillo was in their hotel room and went down to the parking lot to bring Guarino to the room at gunpoint in a plan to rob him, Stanton said.

According to court documents, the women made numerous accusations against Guarino and told Carillo that Guarino had stolen guns from them and sexually assaulted Reyes on a previous occasion.

After the slaying, Stanton said, Kilburn and Wilder took drugs from Guarino and left the hotel.

“Michael was a Christian man. He just couldn’t walk the walk,” Linda Guarino said of her son.

Kilburn, 22, also was sentenced in Wall’s courtroom Wednesday. She received seven to 17 years in prison for conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery charges.

Her attorneys, Randy Pike and Clark Patrick, denied that Kilburn had taken drugs from Guarino.

Kilburn originally was slated to testify against her co-defendants and, in exchange, prosecutors would not have opposed probation at her sentencing. She was released from custody to the Salvation Army to receive help with her methamphetamine addiction but left the program and went missing.

As a result, prosecutors abandoned their agreement with her.

Kilburn apologized in court for absconding. She also apologized for her role in Guarino’s death.

“I was really, really high at the time. I know it doesn’t give me an excuse,” she said.

Patrick asked Wall to sentence her to two to five years in prison, noting it was her first felony conviction.

Before issuing his sentence for Kilburn, Wall emphasized the physical and mental torture Guarino had endured.

“I believe you were an integral part of that,” Wall told her. “You obviously squandered the opportunity you had.”

Wilder, 29, and Reyes, 23, are expected to be sentenced in Wall’s courtroom next month.

News Headlines
Local Spotlight
News Video
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like