An unarmed man robbed the main cage at Harrah’s Las Vegas this weekend by slipping a cashier a note demanding money and then walking out of the casino with a “significant” amount of cash, Las Vegas police said Monday. Police would not specify how much.
The robbery was conducted about 11:30 a.m. Sunday by a man who made no attempt to conceal his identity.
“From an outsider’s perspective looking in, you have to be concerned about all the video cameras in the place,” said Metropolitan Police Department Lt. Clint Nichols. “But I don’t think he was too concerned about it.”
Nichols said robberies at Strip casinos are rare. The suspect’s identity remained unknown Monday afternoon.
Nichols said after the man was handed money, he walked out of the casino. The suspect was last seen on Las Vegas Boulevard South flagging down a cab headed southbound. The suspect should be considered dangerous, police said.
He is described as between 35 and 40, standing between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 8 inches. The suspect weighs between 160 pounds and 175 pounds.
Neither Nichols nor Gary Thompson, a spokesman with Harrah’s Entertainment, said where the casino’s security guards were during the time of the robbery.
“We don’t disclose the practices and procedures they use,” Thompson said. “Divulging that information would provide too much information to criminals.”
Thompson said Harrah’s is fully cooperating with police in their investigation, including handing over surveillance tape. Nichols said police were in the process of reviewing tapes from inside the casino and outside of it.
Thompson said to the best of his knowledge, no Harrah’s employees had been fired because of the incident.
Police are asking for the public’s assistance in identifying the suspect. They urge anyone with information to call the Robbery Section at 828-3591 or Crime Stoppers at 385-5555.
Contact reporter Antonio Planas at email@example.com or 702-383-4638.