SISSONVILLE, W.Va. — Production crews were not with a young star of the reality show “Buckwild” when he died over Easter weekend and hadn’t filmed him since earlier in the week, MTV officials said Wednesday.
Shain Gandee, 21, was found dead Monday in his SUV near Sissonville, along with two passengers.
Autopsies determined that all three died of carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly caused by the vehicle’s tailpipe being submerged in mud. That could have allowed the invisible gas to fill the vehicle’s cabin.
MTV spokesman Jake Urbanski said it would be at least a few weeks before producers and cast members decide whether to continue shooting season two. For now, he said, everyone is focused on supporting Gandee’s friends and family.
Also killed were his 48-year-old uncle, David Gandee, and 27-year-old Donald Robert Myers.
Cunningham-Parker-Johnson Funeral Home in Charleston said services for Shain and David Gandee were scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday at the Charleston Municipal Auditorium. A private family burial service will follow in Thaxton Cemetery.
Family members said David Gandee worked for Appalachian Tire Co., was a fan of both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the West Virginia University Mountaineers, and loved golf.
Shain Gandee’s family has requested that instead of flowers, fans and friends send donations to one of two charities: the Angels Among Us program at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C., or the Autism Society in Bethesda, Md.