OXON HILL, Md. — A 6-year-old girl remains in “very critical” condition after a suffering an electric shock at the MGM National Harbor resort outside Washington, officials said Wednesday.
The girl was shocked shortly before midnight Tuesday after touching a handrail that surrounds a large fountain on the property in Oxon Hill, Maryland, said Alan C. Doubleday, an assistant fire chief for the Prince George’s County Fire Department.
Doubleday said the handrail appeared to have light fixtures built into it and was somehow energized with electricity. He said the shock caused the girl’s heart to stop.
An MGM employee suffered some minor injuries from electric shocks when he tried to rescue the girl, Doubleday said. A Prince George’s County police officer arrived and performed CPR on the girl. He stayed with her as paramedics rushed her to a local hospital.
“A huge link in the chain of survival is early CPR,” Doubleday said.
The girl regained a pulse. She was then flown from the smaller local hospital by helicopter to a larger regional hospital and placed in the intensive care unit, Doubleday said.
The MGM resort is on the banks of the Potomac River and has a casino, restaurants and stores.
Doubleday said investigators from MGM are on the scene as well as inspectors from the county and Maryland Occupational Safety and Health.
MGM released a statement Wednesday that said it is fully cooperating with authorities. It also said this “is a horrible accident and we are heartbroken. We offer our support and prayers for the family.”