weather icon Partly Cloudy

Blizzards, avalanches leave at least 29 dead in Nepal

KATMANDU, Nepal — Rescuers widened their search Friday for trekkers in Nepal’s northern mountains who were stranded since a series of blizzards and avalanches battered the Himalayas early this week leaving at least 29 people killed, officials said.

The government, meanwhile, announced a high level committee with two senior ministers that would monitor and coordinate rescue efforts following criticism that the Nepal government was not doing enough to help.

Chief government official of Mustang district Baburam Bhandari said helicopters resumed search Friday to find the stranded trekkers and were covering a wider area. Trekkers were still stranded in small lodges and huts dotted along the Annapurna trail and hiking was difficult because of up to waist-deep snow and difficulty in following the trail.

Rescuers have already pulled out 78 trekkers from Mustang district and 157 from neighboring Manang district since rescue efforts began on Wednesday.

Bhandari said they planned to help dozens more on Friday as weather conditions were better and the high winds had stopped allowing more helicopter flights in the area.

Information Minister Minendra Risal said the committee ordered by the prime minister would directly monitor the rescue operation and help where ever needed. The committee would coordinate between the army, police, local administration and the private operators who are involved in the rescue.

The Nepal government was criticized for not helping enough. It was initially only the army attempting the rescue with their two helicopters on Wednesday and later joined by private trekking operators.

The Annapurna trekking route, 160 kilometers (100 miles) northwest of the capital, Katmandu, was filled with foreign hikers during the peak October trekking season, when the air is generally clear and cool. There were also many Nepalese on the trails because of local festivals.

Two trekkers from Hong Kong and 12 Israelis were airlifted Wednesday to Katmandu, where they were being treated at a hospital.

They said they survived by taking refuge in a small tea shop along the path.

“I was sure I was going to die on the way to the pass because I lost my group, I lost all the people I was with and I could not see anything,” said Linor Kajan, an injured Israeli who said she was stuck in waist-deep snow.

“One Nepalese guide who knows the way saw me and asked me to stay with him. And he dragged me, really dragged me to the tea shop. And everybody there was really frightened,” she said.

Another Israeli survivor, Yakov Megreli, said they tried to stay awake in the tea shop to stay warm.

“We tried not to sleep. We tried not to get hypothermia. It was a very frightening and awful situation,” he said.

Both talked to reporters outside a hospital in Katmandu where survivors were brought.

The blizzard, the tail end of a cyclone that hit the Indian coast a few days earlier, appeared to contribute to an avalanche that killed at least eight people in Phu village in neighboring Manang district. The dead included three Indian and four Canadian trekkers as well as three villagers, said government official Devendra Lamichane.

The foreigners’ bodies were buried in up to 2 meters (6½ feet) of snow and digging them out will take days, he said. Three Canadian trekkers who survived the avalanche were taken by helicopter to a shelter in a nearby town.

Authorities said five climbers were killed in a separate avalanche about 75 kilometers (45 miles) to the west, at the base camp for Mount Dhaulagiri. The climbers, two Slovaks and three Nepali guides, were preparing to scale the 8,167-meter (26,800-foot) peak, the world’s seventh tallest, said Gyanedra Shrestha of Nepal’s mountaineering department. Their bodies were recovered Thursday.

An avalanche in April just above the base camp on Mount Everest killed 16 Nepalese guides, the deadliest single disaster on the mountain. Climate experts say rising global temperatures have contributed to avalanches in the Himalayas.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
Nearly 26K nursing home COVID-19 deaths reported to feds

Federal health authorities have received reports of nearly 26,000 nursing home residents dying from COVID-19, according to materials prepared for the nation’s governors. That number is partial and likely to go higher.

Floyd’s family releases independent autopsy results

An autopsy commissioned for George Floyd’s family found he died of asphyxiation due to neck and back compression when a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck.

Huge gatherings, erosion of trust upend virus tracking efforts

Health experts need newly infected people to remember and recount everyone they’ve interacted with over several days in an effort to prevent them from spreading the disease further. But contact tracing, relies on people knowing who they’ve been in contact with — a daunting task if they’ve been to a mass gathering.

Coast-to-coast protests leave a shaken America in shambles

With cities wounded by days of violent unrest, America headed into a new week with neighborhoods in shambles, urban streets on lockdown and shaken confidence about when leaders would find the answers to control the mayhem amid unrelenting raw emotion.

Trump took shelter in White House bunker as protests raged

Secret Service agents rushed President Donald Trump to a White House bunker on Friday night as hundreds of protesters gathered outside the executive mansion, some of them throwing rocks and tugging at police barricades.

Average U.S. gas price up 8 cents over 2 weeks to $2.05

Industry analyst Trilby Lundberg of the Lundberg Survey says Sunday that the jump comes as crude oil costs rise and gasoline demand increases amid widespread easing of stay-at-home orders.