87°F
weather icon Clear

Public defender requests to leave Fla. massacre suspect’s case

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The public defenders representing the suspect in last year’s Florida high school massacre have made an unexpected request to withdraw from the case, saying the man will soon receive nearly a half million dollars from his late mother’s life insurance policy.

The Broward County Public Defender’s Office filed a notice late Wednesday saying Nikolas Cruz is set to receive more than $432,000. Under state law, the public defender can only represent defendants who cannot afford private attorneys.

Public Defender Howard Finkelstein said his office learned about the policy this week.

It’s likely that the victims’ families who are suing Cruz for the Feb. 14, 2018, Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting that left 17 dead will make a claim for the money. Judges will have to determine who gets it.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
US envoy, Taliban to resume talks on ending 18-year Afghan war

The U.S. envoy negotiating with the Taliban for an end to nearly 18 years of fighting in Afghanistan was departing Tuesday for Qatar to resume the talks, the State Department said.

Nuclear watchdog says Russia has resumed sharing radiation data

Russia has resumed sharing data from its radiation monitoring stations in Siberia after some were taken offline following a deadly explosion at a missile range, a nuclear weapons watchdog said Tuesday.

California freeway crossing to give big cat room to roam

Like many urban singles, the mountain lion P-22 lives a solitary life in a too-small habitat. And he has a hard time finding a mate in the big city.