Authorities are requesting that parents ask their children if they might have been victims of a sex offender nabbed Tuesday by a multi-agency child pornography task force.
Las Vegas police Lt. Troy Barrett said authorities want to make sure there are no other victims of 42-year-old Michael G. Ward, who was arrested on three counts of statutory sexual seduction, one count of use of a minor in the production of pornography and 20 counts of possession of child pornography.
"Parents, if you know this person, talk to your children," Barrett said.
Court records show Ward pleaded guilty in 1998 to assault and battery and lewdness with a child younger than 14. He was sentenced to a minimum of two years in prison.
Barrett said a "few" victims were involved in Ward’s latest arrest. He wouldn’t go into detail about the cases, or identify the neighborhoods where Ward or the alleged victims live. Nor did he give the names of schools the alleged victims attend.
But Barrett said police didn’t believe Ward distributed the photos and home videos he took.
Ward was one of nine suspects arrested in the past few days by a task force made up of officers from the Metropolitan and Henderson police departments and the FBI.
Police said there were no victims in the other cases.
The other suspects are:
• Elbert Bernard, 59, arrested on five counts of possession of child pornography.
• Daniel Combes, 46, arrested on 15 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Anthony Flores, 32, arrested on 20 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Hector A. Gonzalez, no age given, arrested on 10 counts of possession of child pornography after his employer noticed it on his work computer, Barrett said.
• Thomas K. Krattenmaker, 22, arrested on six counts of advertising or distributing child pornography and 20 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Paul Smith, 51, arrested on 20 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Juan Vega, 37, arrested on 20 counts of possession of child pornography.
• Terry K. Ziegler, 56, arrested on 15 counts of possession of child pornography.
Contact reporter Lawrence Mower at lmower @reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0440.