RENO — Reno Rodeo officials said they expect an outbreak of equine herpes virus to fully run its course before the rodeo opens June 16.
Rodeo spokesman Steve Schroeder told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he was on the phone all day Friday, dispelling rumors about the rodeo.
He said the rodeo plans to go on as scheduled, and the number of cowboys who initially signed up last week was higher than in past years.
But he said rodeos were being held this weekend in California, Oregon and Arizona, and any growth in the virus outbreak could affect the Reno Rodeo.
The outbreak already has caused the postponement of the Senior Pro Rodeo in Elko, which had been set to begin June 1.