Creating a positive, nourishing home environment is nearly every parent’s top priority. However, it can be difficult for parents to know what to do to ensure that their children are healthy and lead successful lives.
Laura Posada, wife of Yankees’ catcher Jorge Posada, mother, author and lifestyle expert frequently counsels families on the importance of establishing a healthy and happy home environment. Posada recently hosted the McDonald’s (R) sponsored “First Taste” Event to introduce Fruit & Maple Oatmeal and McCafé(R) Caramel Mocha. She says that easy steps can significantly affect family morale.
“Establishing a healthy and happy family lifestyle does not have to be complex, and in fact, can be accomplished by following basic tips that can easily be integrated into any family,” Posada says. “One important tip that I always emphasize is nutrition. Never underestimate the importance of providing your family with healthy foods, but also foods that are enjoyable. Healthy and great-tasting foods can put a smile on everyone’s face, yet still ensure that their bodies are functioning properly.”
Here are Posada’s top five tips for establishing a healthy and happy family lifestyle:
1. Nutrition: Integrating foods that are good for you yet still delicious into your regular diet is so important. For breakfast, I recommend fresh fruits or oatmeal, such as McDonald’s Fruit & Maple Oatmeal. With only 290 calories per serving, it’s a great way to start the morning. And as a special treat for all you coffee drinkers out there, I recommend McCafé Caramel Mocha. It’s tasty and a true morning delight. For more information, visit www.mcdonalds.com.
2. Fitness: Staying in shape doesn’t have to be solitary. There are many active family activities that get your heart rate going and allow you to spend time with your kids. Remember what you did as a child. Playing tag, hide and seek, sledding and basketball are just a few options. Let each person in the family have a chance to choose the activity for a particular day.
3. Hydration: Staying properly hydrated is imperative. Encourage your family to drink more water and integrate more of the foods that are naturally hydrating, such as grapefruit, honeydew, cucumbers and plums. Make ice pops using low-sugar fresh fruit juice in the summer or serve hot cider during cold weather months.
4. Commitment: Ensure your family understands the nature of commitment. Use the power of the group to constantly work to achieve the goals set during your family meeting. Talk to them about discipline and the need for consistency, and how success does not happen overnight. Transforming negative habits into positive ones might seem overwhelming at times, but shifting your attitude to “one-change-a-time” will help the family reach each milestone.
5. Make it fun: The most important thing while you embark on this journey to become a healthier family is to have fun. By integrating new experiences into your old routine, you will soon see that each one will be another layer explored toward your ultimate goal of cultivating a happy, healthy and active family.
For more information on Laura Posada’s tips for creating a happy and healthy family lifestyle, visit www.jorgeposada.com/fit-home-team.
This interview is made possible by McDonald’s (R).