Edwin McCain — whose “I’ll Be” is a wedding song staple — finally cut his long hair because his two sons started thinking of his wife and him as “pretty momma and ugly momma,” he says.
“I was the creepy, long-haired old guy all of a sudden,” McCain says. “I went into (the kids’) room one morning, and they were like, ‘Momma?’ I was like, ‘That’s it!’ “
In today’s Neon, McCain tells me he’s related to the ex-Republican presidential nominee John McCain.
And he says he played “I’ll Be” for weddings at a Krispy Kreme drive-through.
He performs Saturday at the House of Blues ($30-$35; 632-7600).
PLANNING YOUR WEEKEND
• The Miss America pageant is at Planet Hollywood at 4:30 p.m. Saturday ($71.43-$142.86).
• South Point is the place to be today and Saturday for the Championship Bull Riding World Championship ($25-$75). Also at South Point: the Art-N-Ink Festival. There’s more on that in today’s Neon section.
• Happy new year! It’s Chinese New Year, the year of the ox. Yau Kung Moon dance group starts lion dances in the main valets and porte-cocheres at 3 p.m. Saturday at MGM; 3 p.m. Monday at Mandalay Bay; 6 p.m. Monday at Mirage; and 7 p.m. Tuesday at Bellagio. Lee-Hom Wang performs at 8 p.m. Saturday at MGM ($50.40-$176.40). Look for restaurants to offer specials. And Bellagio’s Conservatory has a new year’s display up. Congratulations and be prosperous.
• If you want to get cornholed, do that at the American Cornhole Organization’s King of Cornhole competition today and Saturday at Sam’s Town. Cornhole is … beanbag tossing at 30 feet or so. Winner gets $1,000. Amateurs welcome. Registration is 9 a.m. Prelims run 10 a.m.-2 p.m. today. The King of Cornhole contest is 2 p.m. Saturday and is free to see.
• Actor-musician Nick “Mr. Mariah Carey” Cannon turns turntables at Pure at Caesars tonight.
• February’s naked Playmate Jessica Burciaga returns Sunday to the Playboy Club at the Palms, where she was a dealer and was photographed in her nakedness.
• If you can’t win Miss America, you can appear at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone at Planet Hollywood. At 11 p.m. today, more than 20 2008 contestants mingle and pose.
• A “Rock and Roll” wine tasting goes down 7-10 p.m. at … LAX nightclub? It’s true ($40). The band is The Tender Box; band member Chris Hammond’s dad is NBC play-by-play commentator Tom Hammond.
Write your thoughts on my blog (reviewjournal.com/elfman) or e-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org), and I’ll post them. My column runs Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. See you then.