A noxious combination of illegal drugs left in an abandoned pillowcase sickened a group of Red Rock Resort employees and forced parts of the hotel to shut down Tuesday night.
Maintenance workers at the Summerlin hotel found the pillowcase about 7 p.m. in the parking garage and took it to the security office, Las Vegas police officer Jose Montoya said.
Employees opened the bag in the office and were hit with overpowering fumes that immediately made them dizzy and nauseous, he said. Authorities closed the security office and part of the parking garage to investigate.
The Las Vegas police ARMOR team, which handles hazardous materials and explosives situations, determined the fumes were coming from the mixture of drugs in the bag, he said. The mixture included cocaine, heroin and prescription painkillers, Montoya said.
The bag also contained a purse and credit cards, he said.
Police cleared the scene about 11:30 p.m. Between five and 10 people were medically treated at the scene.
Police were reviewing hotel surveillance video to identify who left the pillowcase in the garage, he said.