After the Review-Journal revealed late last year that renovations at the Rio were done without the proper permits or inspections, Clark County commissioned an outside audit to investigate how officials handled complaints against the building division and fire department.
In the interim, other problems were found at the Flamingo and the Monte Carlo, which suffered a fire earlier this year.
The New York-based consultant who conducted the audit, Michael Kessler, delivered his report to county officials on Feb. 20. But it has yet to be released. When asked why, Mr. Kessler responded, “Talk to the county.”
But county spokesman Erik Pappa said Friday he didn’t know when the material would be make public because administrators were “fact-checking” the analysis. Besides, he said, “Mr. Kessler determines when his report is final.”
Let’s stop the game-playing. Our tourist-based economy won’t long survive if visitors don’t trust that the Strip’s massive resorts are safe and meet accepted building codes.
Sitting on the report won’t mitigate the ultimate ramifications, it only feeds suspicions that the county has something to hide.
Release the audit.