Las Vegas Review-Journal, Inc. Privacy Notice for California Residents
Effective Date: January 1, 2023
Last Reviewed on January 31, 2023
Information We Collect
In particular, we have collected the following categories of Personal Information from or about consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
|PERSONAL DATA CATEGORY||EXAMPLES||COLLECTED IN PAST TWELVE MONTHS||RETENTION PERIOD||DISCLOSED FOR A BUSINESS PURPOSE||SOLD OR SHARED FOR CROSS-CONTEXT BEHAVIORAL ADVERTISING|
|Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||YES||While the consumer has a subscription or account plus 66 months or if the consumer does not have a subscription or account for 66 months after the consumer’s last interaction with the Company||YES||Not Sold or Shared|
|California Customer Records personal information||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.||YES||While the consumer has a subscription or account plus 66 months or if the consumer does not have a subscription or account for 66 months after the consumer’s last interaction with the Company||Some, but not all||Not Sold or Shared|
|Protected classification characteristics under state or federal law||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or genetic information (including familial genetic information).||YES||While the consumer has a subscription or account plus 66 months or if the consumer does not have a subscription or account for 66 months after the consumer’s last interaction with the Company||Some, but not all||Not Sold or Shared|
|Commercial information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES||YES||Not Sold or Shared|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, or information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||YES||Up to 90 days||YES||Not Sold or Shared|
|Sensory data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||YES||No||Not Sold or Shared|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||YES||Up to 2 years||YES||Not Sold or Shared|
Personal Information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Lawfully obtained, truthful information that is a matter of public concern.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s or CPRA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data or other biomedical research study; or
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), the Federal Farm Credit Act of 1971 and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
Company obtains the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or products and services you purchase.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on the LVRJ Services.
- From our affiliates and subsidiaries.
From third parties, including information from commercially available sources such as public databases, consumer reporting agencies, and data aggregators.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the Personal Information we collect or receive about you for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our products or services, we will use that Personal Information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your Personal Information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To process your requests and provide you with the LVRJ Services, including to deliver customized content or recommendations. Note that we use your payment card information (such as your card number and expiration date) for limited purposes such as to process your transaction (including recurring payments, if applicable), to provide you with the requested products or services and to protect our rights or the rights of others.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide, support, personalize, and develop our websites, the LVRJ Services and its content for you.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To learn about users of the LVRJ Services and analyze how you and others interact with and respond to the LVRJ Services.
- To communicate with you, including to send you marketing and promotional communications.
- For advertising and marketing purposes, including to deliver interest-based ads, for cross-device linking and to analyze the performance of advertising and marketing activities.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our websites, the LVRJ Services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve the LVRJ Services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- To enforce or apply our policies, terms and conditions, and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- As described to you when collecting your Personal Information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA, CPRA or other applicable law.
- To protect our rights and the rights of others.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by Company about users of the LVRJ Services is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Information or use the Personal Information we collected for additional or unrelated purposes without providing you notice.
Our collection, use, retention, and disclosure of your Personal Information will be reasonably necessary and proportionate to achieve the purposes for which the Personal Information was collected. We will not retain Personal Information for longer than is reasonably necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
Disclosing Personal Information for a Business Purpose
We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose Personal Information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that Personal Information confidential and not use it for any purpose except for the purposes for which we have disclosed the information.
We disclose your Personal Information with the following categories of third parties:
- To our affiliates and subsidiaries.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, including legal, accounting and other professional service providers, marketing service providers, information technology services providers, software providers, shipping service providers and credit card processors, and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- With advertisers, advertising- and marketing-related services providers and partners as well as companies that help us learn how you and others interact with our content.
- With social media platforms and similar services, including when you interact with our LVRJ Services that integrate tools and services provided by social media platforms.
- With business partners, such as when we partner with a third party to offer products or services on a co-branded basis.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by Company about users of the LVRJ Services is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties (other than our affiliates and subsidiaries) to market their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- With data aggregators.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA and CPRA provide consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. This section describes your these rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose the categories and specific pieces of information we have collected and certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information . We will provide all the Personal Information that we have collected and maintain about you since January 1, 2022, including beyond the 12-month period preceding our receipt of the request, unless doing so proves impossible or would involve disproportionate effort. Once we receive and verify your consumer request (see Exercising Access, Correction, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will disclose to you, as applicable:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting, that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we disclose that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- the Personal Information categories that we sold and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to whom we sold that particular category of Personal Information; and
- the Personal Information categories that we disclosed for a business purpose and for each category identified, the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed that particular category of Personal Information.
Correct Specific Information
You have the right to request that we correct inaccurate Personal Information about you. Once we receive and verify your request (see Exercising Access, Correction, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct the information to comply with your request.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and verify your consumer request (see Exercising Access, Correction, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies. In responding to your request, we will inform you whether or not we have complied with the request, and, if we have not complied, provide you with an explanation as to why.
Note that a service provider is not required to comply with a deletion request submitted by the consumer directly to the service provider.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
1. Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated by you within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
2. Help to ensure security and integrity to the extent the use of your Personal Information is reasonably necessary and proportionate for those purposes.
3. Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
4. Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
5. Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
6. Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research that conforms or adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the ability to complete such research, if you previously provided informed consent.
7. Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us and compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
8. Comply with a legal obligation.
Exercising Access, Correction, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, correction, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us through one of the following request methods:
- Phone: 1-833-761-0220
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.reviewjournal.com/ccpa-deletion-request/
- Postal Address: P.O. Box 70, Las Vegas, NV 89125, Attn: Privacy Officers
When you use a request method above, we will request certain information for verification purposes, such as your name, address, and e-mail address. We will use this information to verify this is a permitted request, such as by matching your name and address with information in our records. Depending on the type of request, we may require a certain number of data points to allow for verification.
Only you, or a person legally authorized by you to act on your behalf, may make a consumer request related to your Personal Information. You may also make a consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
An authorized agent may make a request on your behalf using the request methods designated above. Additionally, if you use an authorized agent to submit a consumer request, we may require the authorized agent to provide proof that you gave the agent signed permission to submit the request. We may also require you to verify your own identity directly with us or directly confirm with us that you provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
You may only make a consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized agent of such person.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We may deny a request to correct if we denied the same request within the past six months. If you provide new or additional documentation, we will treat this as a new request.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. However, we do consider requests made through your password protected account sufficiently verified when the request relates to Personal Information associated with that specific account.
We will only use Personal Information provided in a consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 45 additional days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
No Personal Information Sales or Sharing
We do not sell or share any personal information that we collect or use.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA and CPRA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA and/or CPRA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA, as amended by the CPRA, that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA/CPRA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to the value to us of your Personal Information and contain written terms that describe the program’s material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
Other California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our websites that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write us at: P.O. Box 70, Las Vegas, NV 89125, Attn: Privacy Officers.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on the websites and update the notice’s effective date. Your continued use of our website following the posting of changes constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
Postal Address: Las Vegas Review-Journal, P.O. Box 70, Las Vegas, NV 89125 Attn: Privacy Officers