(BPT) – Everyone needs a fun little holiday trip. You can get some shopping done, see a show, enjoy the lights and amp up your anticipation for the holidays.
If you are looking for that special trip, travel inspiration website, DreamPlanGo suggests visiting these 11 cities whose holiday celebrations will make you happy:
1. Boston – Boston hosts a charming, New England Christmas with careful decorations, snow covered streets and festive Christmas shopping. Take in a production of Handel’s Messiah, or enjoy the annual Christmas Revels show.
2. Nashville, Tennessee. – If you are craving a glorious country Christmas, head to Nashville. You’ll find Christmas carol twang, Christmas dinner shows, a themed ice show and extreme tubing for the kids.
3. Orlando, Florida – Parades, lightshows and Disney holiday razzle-dazzle are guaranteed to blow you away. At night, enjoy a fake snowfall on Mainstreet U.S.A along with fireworks.
4. Las Vegas – Living up to its reputation, Las Vegas does Christmas bigger and more outrageously than anyone else. Competing light displays turn The Strip into an otherworldly mish-mash of neon and LED Christmas lights.
5. New York – An oldie, but a goodie, New York impresses millions at Christmas time. Watch the Rockettes, skate in the shadow of Rockefeller Center and check out the amazing window displays at Macys and Saks Fifth Ave.
6. Branson, Missouri – Branson has enough Christmas shows to keep you entertained the entire month of December. If that isn’t enough, you’ll find 5 million Christmas lights decorating the roller coasters at Silver Dollar City and plenty of shopping.
7. Charleston, South Carolina – Gullah spirituals, Victorian house tours and the spectacularly decorated Drayton Hall plantation house are all part of Charleston’s annual Christmas celebration. Stroll through the city’s oldest quarters for the romance of lights that illuminate the historic buildings.
8. Durango, Colorado – Durango’s storefronts participate in a window decorating competition so you’re guaranteed to have a lot to look at. Kids will love a ride on the “Polar Express Train.” If Christmas isn’t your jam, you can simply ski.
9. Taos, New Mexico – Besides having amazing skiing, Taos puts on a culturally diverse Christmas celebration. Walk through the glow of Ledoux Street’s paper “luminarias.” Take in the Pueblo Christmas Eve celebration or the traditional Hispanic reenactment of Mary and Joseph searching for shelter.
10. Key West, Florida – If you’d rather see a palm tree trimmed for Christmas, head to Key West. Serve your Christmas dinner beach-side and then walk along the historic waterfront for the Bight Before Christmas: Key West’s decorated boat show.
11. Chicago – Chicago’s German heritage shines during the holiday season. Visit the Christkindlmarket for German crafts, beer, sausages and sweet treats. Afterward, skate on Navy Pier and take in the lights along the Magnificent Mile.
Ready to take the festivities global? Read Celebrating Christmas Around the World.