83°F
weather icon Clear

David Ortiz, ex-Red Sox star, out of hospital after shooting

BOSTON — Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is out of the hospital following three surgeries after being shot in the back at a bar in the Dominican Republic.

The Red Sox said Saturday that they’ve been told Ortiz has been released from Massachusetts General Hospital. The team said there will be an update on his condition next week.

ESPN reported the 43-year-old Ortiz has been home since Friday and will continue his recovery there.

Ortiz had been at the Boston hospital since June 10, a day after he was shot. Dominican police have said he was mistaken for another man who was sitting near him at the club.

A 10-time All-Star, Big Papi led the Red Sox to three World Series championships before retiring after the 2016 season.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
World Series odds, props for Astros, Nationals

The Astros are minus 220 favorites over the Nationals (+190), who are 20-1 to win the World Series in four games. A grand slam is 40-1 to be first home run of Game 1.

Jose Altuve’s homer in 9th sends Astros to World Series

Jose Altuve hit a game-ending homer off Aroldis Chapman with two outs in the ninth inning and the Houston Astros outlasted the New York Yankees 6-4 Saturday night to advance to the World Series for the second time in three years.