May 17, 2013 - 10:52 pm
MICAH ROBERTS’ SPRINT CUP DRIVER RATINGS
NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race
Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C.
4 p.m. today, Speed (329); race starts at 4:30
Rating Driver Odds Practice 1 Qualified Las Vegas* Texas*
1. Kyle Busch 5/1 1st 5th 4th 1st
Four DNFs in seven starts, with two top-five finishes, but has one of fastest cars in race
2. Matt Kenseth 6/1 3rd 14th 1st 12th
2004 winner; best average finish (6.3) among active drivers in his 12 starts
3. Jimmie Johnson 5/1 6th 19th 6th 6th
Three-time winner, including 2012; second-fastest 10 consecutive lap average in practice
4. Kasey Kahne 8/1 13th 10th 2nd 11th
2008 winner; four other wins in Charlotte point races; using ninth-place Kansas chassis
5. Carl Edwards 12/1 7th 1st 5th 3rd
2011 winner; 11.3 average finish; using fourth-place Fontana chassis
6. Brad Keselowski 12/1 4th 13th 3rd 9th
On notch just below Busch, Kenseth on these type of tracks; using third-place Bristol chassis
7. Denny Hamlin 8/1 9th 18th 15th N/A
Two top-five finishes; 12.5 average; should be almost as good as teammates Busch, Kenseth
8. Martin Truex Jr. 20/1 6th N/A 8th 2nd
Eighth or better on all three 1.5-mile tracks this season
9. Clint Bowyer 20/1 8th 7th 27th 15th
No top-10 finishes in four starts; using new chassis
10. Kurt Busch 30/1 2nd 3rd 20th 37th
2010 winner; three other top-fives; had fastest 10 consecutive lap average in practice
Note: The All-Star race is a nonpoints race consisting of five segments totaling 90 laps. The first four segments are 20-lap dashes, followed by a final 10-lap sprint for a $1 million prize.
* Results from the March 10 Las Vegas race and April 13 Texas race, the most recent races run on tracks most similar to Charlotte’s 1.5-mile high-banked layout.
Odds courtesy of the LVH.
Micah Roberts, a former sports book director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more Roberts insights on the race, go to The Linemakers on SportingNews.com or follow on Twitter: MicahRoberts7.