MICAH ROBERTS’ SPRINT CUP DRIVER RATINGS
Quaker State 400
Kentucky Speedway, Sparta, Ky.
4:30 p.m. today, TNT (18); race starts at 4:45 p.m.
Rating Driver Odds Practice 1 Practice 2 Qualified Kansas*
1. Jimmie Johnson 5/1 3rd 12th 1st 3rd
Strong average times in practice coupled with 2012 form make him driver to beat
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. 12/1 2nd 7th 7th 7th
Had top Practice 2 speeds among drivers in race trim; using Charlotte chassis
3. Denny Hamlin 10/1 7th 8th 3rd 1st
Best 10-consecutive lap average in practice; won on similar track at Kansas in April
4. Kyle Busch 7/1 1st 9th 2nd 10th
Won Kentucky race last season; was almost as good off hauler in practice as in 2011
5. Brad Keselowski 15/1 12th 2nd 8th 11th
Top average speeds in Practice 2; wrecked main car in Practice 1 in dustup with Montoya
6. Greg Biffle 8/1 20th 3rd 11th 5th
One of top performing drivers on all 1.5-mile tracks this season; using All-Star chassis
7. Martin Truex Jr. 25/1 5th 26th 10th 2nd
Should be able to transfer April’s Kansas information that saw him lead 173 of 267 laps
8. Jeff Gordon 12/1 16th 1st 9th 21st
Third-best 10-consecutive lap average in practice; found speed as practice came to close
9. Kevin Harvick 12/1 8th 21st 4th 6th
Good average practice speeds; using chassis that Brendan Gaughan drove in Las Vegas
10. Tony Stewart 8/1 24th 31st 22nd 13th
Not one of his best practices but is using chassis that won Chicagoland and Las Vegas
* Results from the April 22 race held at Kansas Speedway. The Kansas and Kentucky facilities both have 1.5-mile tracks with similar banking that mirror a few of the same traits.
Odds courtesy of the LVH.
Micah Roberts, a former sports book director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more of Roberts’ insights and postpractice analysis on the race, go to VegasInsider.com or follow him on Twitter: @MicahRoberts7.