Former world middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. bought more time Tuesday in his disciplinary case with the Nevada Athletic Commission. But the clock is winding down.
Chavez, who tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his Sept. 15 loss to Sergio Martinez at the Thomas & Mack Center, has yet to answer the initial complaint launched against him Sept. 28, after his drug test results were received by the NAC on Sept. 24.
His Las Vegas-based attorney, Don Campbell, told the commission that he and Chavez have not had a chance to meet face-to-face. And due to visa problems, Chavez, who lives in Culiacan, Mexico, has been unable to enter the United States.
“We’d like to get this matter resolved, and we’d like to get him up here (to Las Vegas),” Campbell told the commission. “But I have a professional responsibility to meet in person with my client, and so far, that has not been possible.”
An unsympathetic commission told Campbell that Chavez Jr. must provide a written response to the complaint within the next 20 days and be prepared to appear in person at the NAC’s February meeting to discuss the flunked drug test. No date has been set, but the meeting usually falls within the first 10 days of the month.
Chavez (46-1-1, 32 knockouts) remains under temporary suspension, meaning he cannot fight in Nevada or any other jurisdiction that honors Nevada’s rules.
Contact reporter Steve Carp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-387-2913. Follow him on Twitter: @stevecarprj.