Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t have an opponent for his May 5 date at the MGM Grand Garden, but the undefeated WBC welterweight champion applied for a license to fight in Nevada.
Mayweather’s application is on the agenda for the Nevada Athletic Commission’s meeting at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building.
“As of right now, Mr. Mayweather is scheduled to be on our Feb. 1 agenda,” NAC executive director Keith Kizer said Wednesday. “Obviously, that’s subject to change. But as of (Wednesday), we have his application, and he’s slated to be an action item on the agenda.”
Mayweather, who had his reporting date to the Clark County Detention Center for a 90-day jail sentence on domestic violence charges postponed from Jan. 6 to June 1, had hoped to face Manny Pacquiao on May 5. But two-plus years of trying to make that fight have been futile. The two fighters talked last week by telephone in an attempt to strike a deal without their promoters, but to no avail.
Mayweather reportedly is unwilling to accept a 50-50 split of the purse, which could be as much as $100 million. He was supposedly demanding a 70-30 split, which Pacquiao rejected immediately. Mayweather reportedly has softened his stance to 60-40, but that remains unacceptable to Pacquiao.
Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said Wednesday: “Anything’s possible, but there’s been no communication between us and Mayweather for days. But it seems strange that a deal which had been agreed upon two years ago, which was a 50-50 split of the purse, is no longer acceptable.”
Pacquiao’s manager, Michael Koncz, has been in communication with Mayweather and his team. Koncz was making inquiries about Mayweather being licensed if there is an agreement to fight May 5 or beyond.
Meanwhile, Mayweather could find himself fighting undefeated WBC junior middleweight champ Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on May 5. No contract has been signed, but the two sides have had detailed discussions about making the fight.
As for Pacquiao, Arum said plans are moving forward for a June 9 fight at the MGM Grand Garden against either WBA super welterweight champ Miguel Cotto or junior welterweight champions Timothy Bradley or Lamont Peterson.
“Everything’s on the table,” Arum said. “We met with the MGM people (Wednesday) about June 9. (Koncz) is flying back to the Philippines this weekend and will meet with Manny and we’ll make a decision.”
Contact reporter Steve Carp at email@example.com or 702-387-2913. Follow him on Twitter: @stevecarprj.