Rapper 50 Cent’s business venture with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was short-lived.
Their boxing promotional company – TMT Promotions (The Money Team) – that had been formed in July no longer exists, according to 50 Cent, whose given name is Curtis Jackson. He tweeted Thursday he no longer is associated with Mayweather.
One tweet read: “TMT IS OVER the money team is no longer a team. So it SMS promotions. That’s it that’s all.” Another tweet said: “If anyone wants a money team jacket I’m selling mine for a dollar. The nap back hat comes with it. That’s a fare (sic) price.”
SMS Audio is 50 Cent’s audio headphone line.
Mayweather responded with his own tweets, coming up with a few jabs at SMS.
Jackson is pursuing his promoter’s license in Nevada and could be on the agenda at the Nevada Athletic Commission’s next meeting, on Nov. 15. He was granted a promoter’s license in New York in July after signing world featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa, Andre Dirrell and Billy Dib.
Gamboa (21-0, 16 knockouts) is expected to fight on the undercard of the Dec. 8 Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez main event at the MGM Grand Garden. Miguel Beltran Jr. (27-2, 17 KOs) is a possible opponent.
Jackson challenged Mayweather to fight Gamboa next year. That probably won’t happen, but it makes life in the Twitterverse interesting.
■ RATHER READY – Brett Rather has been quiet since his professional debut July 20 in Laughlin. The former UNLV heavyweight scored a four-round unanimous decision over Terrell Woods, but he bruised the knuckles on his right hand and later broke the tip of his right middle finger, which kept him sidelined for several weeks.
On Saturday, Rather returns to the ring, fighting on the undercard of Top Rank’s show at Wynn Las Vegas against Denver’s Terrance Perro (1-1, one KO) in a four-round bout.
The bout will support the WBC junior middleweight eliminator main event between Vanes Martirosyan (32-0, 20 KOs) and Erislandy Lara (17-1-1, 11 KOs).
“I’m hungry to get back in the ring,” Rather said. “It’s been awhile, and I didn’t anticipate it taking this long. But to be able to fight in my hometown on a great card, it’s so exciting. This is why I turned pro, for opportunities like this.”
Rather said he’ll be ready despite the lack of sparring (two sessions in 4½ months). He has been working with trainer Skip Kelp, and Rather said he’s a much different fighter from when he debuted in July.
“I look more professional,” he said. “My technique has improved dramatically. My footwork and balance is better. I’m sitting down on my punches. I feel like I’m a completely different fighter.”
Rather said his hand is healed and he’s ready to go.
“I’m completely fine,” he said. “I didn’t anticipate being away from the ring this long, but it may have been a blessing because I’ve been able to work on everything. I’m much more relaxed, and I think all the nervousness I had in my first fight won’t be there this time.”
■ AGUILAR RETURNS TO NAC – Gov. Brian Sandoval reappointed Las Vegas’ Francisco Aguilar to a second three-year term on the Nevada Athletic Commission.
“I’m super excited and honored,” Aguilar said. “It’s been an incredible three years seeing how things work on the inside and being part of the process to oversee combat sports in our state.”
Also, Bill Brady was selected NAC chairman for 2012-13. Brady, a member of the commission since 2007, was chairman in 2010-11. Skip Avansino was chairman this past year. Chairmanships are for one year and usually rotated among the five commission members.
■ NORTON IMPROVING – Former world heavyweight champion and Hall of Famer Ken Norton continues to make progress in a rehabilitation care facility after suffering a stroke in August.
According to his wife, Rose, Norton, 69, is at the Veterans Administration facility in Boulder City.
“Ken is improving,” she said. “He’s doing well, and he appreciates everyone’s concern and support.”
Contact reporter Steve Carp at email@example.com or 702-387-2913. Follow him on Twitter: @stevecarprj.