70°F
weather icon Clear

Mayweather pleads no contest to battery charge

Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather on Friday pleaded no contest to his lone remaining criminal case, a misdemeanor battery charge stemming from his poking a security guard over parking citations.

Mayweather, an undefeated professional fighter and Olympic medalist, did not appear in court, prosecutors said. A lawyer appeared on the boxer’s behalf.

As part of a deal reached with prosecutors, Mayweather paid a $1,000 fine.

A police report of the November 2010 incident showed that a confrontation ensued after guard Shayne Smith cited two Mayweather vehicles for violating parking rules at the Southern Highlands Estates, where the boxer owns a $9.5 million, 12,000-square-foot mansion.

Authorities said Mayweather was verbally abusive and jabbed his finger into Smith’s cheek, causing redness and discoloration on the left side of Smith’s face.

As part of the deal, last week Mayweather pleaded guilty to battery-domestic violence and no contest to two counts of harassment for assaulting the mother of three of his children and threatening his two sons. He was sentenced to a 90-day jail term to start Jan. 6.

The plea deal was first reported by the Review-Journal.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Contact reporter Francis McCabe at fmccabe@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-1039.

Don't miss the big stories. Like us on Facebook.
THE LATEST
 
Tyson Fury-Otto Wallin open workout highlights

Heavyweight boxer Tyson “The Gyspy King” Fury (28-0-1) will put his lineal heavyweight championship on the line when he faces undefeated Swedish boxer Otto Wallin (20-0, 1 NC) on Sep. 14 at the T-Mobile Arena.