Police query Chisora following melee

MUNICH — British heavyweight Dereck Chisora was released Sunday after nearly seven hours of questioning by police following his brawl with former WBA champion David Haye at a postfight news conference.

A black van carried the boxer and his coach, Don Charles, from police headquarters, speeding past assembled photographers.

“He still faces a charge of simple assault, but he is allowed to return to England for now,” police spokesman Gottfried Schlicht said.

Chisora and fellow Londoner Haye came to blows after Chisora’s defeat by unanimous decision to Vitali Klitschko in their WBC championship fight.

Charles also faces a charge of assault for his involvement in the melee. Schlicht said more serious charges were reduced when police were unable to apprehend Haye, despite searching for the boxer at his hotel.

Chisora and Charles were detained at Munich airport at 10:30 a.m. and taken for questioning to Munich police headquarters. Chisora was initially held on suspicion of assault, causing grievous bodily harm and of making a threat. Chisora was heard vowing to shoot Haye.

“I swear to God, David, I am going to shoot you. I am going to shoot you. I am going to physically shoot David Haye,” Chisora was heard yelling as he claimed Haye hit him with a glass.

Chisora’s promoter Frank Warren called the brawl “ugly, horrible and disgraceful,” but said it was not his boxer who threw the first punch.

“It was an embarrassment for British boxing,” Warren told Sky Sports News. “I would say they were total idiots.”

Chisora taunted Haye about losing the WBA belt to Klitschko’s younger brother Wladimir last July, leading to a heated exchange before Chisora knocked a bottle out of Haye’s hand and they came to blows.

Haye also fought with members of Chisora’s entourage, and his coach, Adam Booth, was bleeding from a cut on his head.

Camera equipment went flying and reporters fled before security eventually managed to separate the men and police arrived.

“You’ve really lost it this time,” Chisora told Haye.

Klitschko, 40, beat Chisora in a bruising bout in which the Ukrainian said he fought from the fourth round with only his right fist after injuring his left shoulder. Klitschko was examined in a Munich hospital Sunday and later reported a partially torn ligament in his left shoulder.

News Headlines
Add Event
Home Front Page Footer Listing
You May Like

You May Like