A year after changing trainers, Jesse Vargas is now under new management.
The 23-year-old welterweight from Las Vegas left Mayweather Promotions this month and hired Cameron Dunkin as his manager on a three-year deal. Vargas (19-0, nine knockouts) said he made the switch with a potential title shot in mind.
“I’ve known Cameron since I was 16, and we’ve always gotten along,” Vargas said. “I’ve seen what he has done for his other fighters, and I’m hoping he can do the same for me. Look what he did for (Timothy) Bradley. He was only with him a short time, and he got him a title shot against (Manny) Pacquiao.”
Dunkin said he thinks Vargas has the talent to win a title belt.
“He’s still growing as a fighter, but I’ve watched Jessie his entire career and he’s got a lot of ability,” Dunkin said. “It’s going to be my job to keep him moving forward and put him in position to fight for and win a title.”
Vargas said Robert Alcazar will remain his trainer. They began working together last year after the fighter split with Roger Mayweather.
In Vargas’ most recent fight May 5, he won a decision over Steve Forbes at the MGM Grand Garden on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Miguel Cotto bout. Vargas said he hopes to fight again no later than September.
■ PETERSON WAITS – Lamont Peterson’s appearance this week before the Nevada Athletic Commission to explain a positive test for synthetic testosterone has been delayed at least until July, NAC executive director Keith Kizer said.
The test result led to the cancellation of Peterson’s junior welterweight rematch against Amir Khan on May 19 at Mandalay Bay.
Peterson, the WBA and IBF champion, was tentatively scheduled to appear at the NAC meeting Thursday, but the matter was pulled from the agenda because of a scheduling conflict involving one of Peterson’s attorneys, Pete Bernhard, who also is chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission.
Peterson, 30-1-1 with 15 knockouts, said he hopes to clear his name soon.
“We’ve brought on a team to help us address the situation, and Lamont is fully committed to defending himself,” Barry Hunter, his trainer and manager, said in a statement. “Once this is done, Lamont will be back on track in his boxing career.”
■ DUELING CARDS – Khan will fight Danny Garcia on July 14 at Mandalay Bay. Elsewhere that night, junior middleweights Anthony Mundine and Bronco McKart will meet in the 10-round main event at the Palms.
Also on the Palms card, light heavyweights Dmitry Sukhotsky and Cornelius White will meet in a 12-round fight.
Contact reporter Steve Carp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-387-2913. Follow him on Twitter: @stevecarprj.