GLENDALE, Ariz. — Referees overturned a basket by Brigham Young’s Charles Abouo at the buzzer, preserving No. 20 Arizona State’s 76-75 victory over the previously unbeaten Cougars on Saturday.
James Harden made the last of his 21 free-throw attempts with nine seconds left to give Arizona State (9-1) its first lead of the second half. Harden scored 21 of his 30 points after halftime and finished 16 of 21 at the foul line.
Jeff Pendergraph added 22 points and nine rebounds for the Sun Devils.
Jonathan Tavernari scored 24 for BYU (10-1), which shot only 19 free throws as a team.
After Harden made 1 of 2 free throws in his final trip to the line, Jamelle McMillan blocked a layup by BYU’s Jimmer Fredette.
On the subsequent inbounds play, Lee Cummard’s shot under pressure fell far short, but Abouo grabbed the ball and made a one-handed, over-his-head basket at the buzzer. One referee initially called the basket good, but officials waved it off after watching video replays and determining the shot came too late.
“I heard the horn as it (the ball) went in the air,” Abouo said. “That’s why I initially thought it was good.”
Fredette added 16 points and Cummard 13 for the Cougars, whose 10-0 start was their best in 21 years.
• San Diego State 68, UC Santa Barbara 51 — At San Diego, Lorrenzo Wade scored a season-high 17 points off the bench and topped 1,000 career points as the Aztecs (8-3) beat the Gauchos (5-6).
Wade became the 23rd player in San Diego State history to achieve 1,000 points, hitting the milestone with a baseline dunk in the second half.
• Utah 74, Weber State 64 — At Salt Lake City, Tyler Kepkay scored 21 points, including 10 in a row late in the game, to rally the Utes (6-4) over the Wildcats (5-5).
• Wyoming 93, Sacramento State 70 — At Laramie, Wyo., Sean Ogirri made 7 3-pointers and scored 25 points as the Cowboys (9-1) blew out the Hornets (1-9).
• Texas Tech 86, New Mexico 78 — At Lubbock, Texas, Alan Voskuil scored a season-high 28 points, hitting six 3-pointers, to carry the Red Raiders (8-3) past the Lobos (7-5).
• Denver 66, Colorado State 55 — At Denver, Nate Rohnert scored 17 points and Andrew Hooper 16 as the Pioneers (4-6) handed the Rams (3-8) their 22nd consecutive road loss.