Spring Mountain coach Aaron Masden sensed his players were “a little shell-shocked” in their season opener last week because many were seeing game action for the first time.
The Eagles absorbed a 28-point loss to Beaver Dam (Ariz.) on Aug. 28, leading to a week of intense practice and extra playbook study.
At least they appear to be quick learners.
Spring Mountain scored 32 points in the second quarter and breezed to a 60-26 victory over visiting Beatty in a Class 1A Southern League opener Friday.
“Today was us getting paid on the hard work all week long,” Masden said.
The Eagles (1-1, 1-0) led 46-6 after three quarters and pulled most of their starters, after which Beatty scored three touchdowns in a span of 5:41.
Spring Mountain running back James Maestas compiled 169 yards and three TDs on 10 carries, scoring on runs of 50, 23 and 51 yards. He also caught a 35-yard pass and recovered a fumble while playing safety.
“It feels pretty good,” Maestas said. “Last week was the first game, kind of rough. So we just had to do a hard week’s practice.”
Tiras Hamilton added 67 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries for the Eagles, who had 10 ball carriers combine for 351 yards on 45 attempts.
• The Meadows 74, Sunrise Mountain 13 — At The Meadows, freshman Chase Marrs scored four times to lead the Mustangs (1-0), who exploded for 38 points in the first quarter, past the Miners (0-2).
Marrs returned an interception 34 yards for a touchdown and added TD runs of 35, 27 and 53 yards. He finished with 124 yards on five carries.
Garrett Gosse threw touchdown passes of 16 yards to Austin Brown and 55 yards to Max Newman.
David Liu ran for 3- and 1-yard touchdowns, and Newman returned a kickoff 85 yards for another score.
— Vincent Hernandez
• Boulder City 42, Mohave (Ariz.) 20 — At Boulder City, Devon Combs rushed for 179 yards, including touchdowns of 88 and 3 yards, and returned the second-half kickoff 90 yards for another score as the Eagles (1-1) beat Mohave.
Combs’ 88-yard TD came in the first quarter and his 3-yarder in the second.
Ross LaMarca passed for 110 yards, including second-quarter touchdowns of 23 yards to Jack LaMarca and 1 yard to Allen Haines.
Joseph Woodbury added a 3-yard TD run for the Eagles.
• Cedar City (Utah) 27, Virgin Valley 0 — At Cedar City, Utah, Jackson Carter rushed for a touchdown and threw for another to help the Redmen (2-1) blank Virgin Valley (0-2).
Virgin Valley was held to 135 yards, including 50 on 35 carries. Humberto Arias was 4-for-11 passing for 85 yards.
• Rite of Passage 21, Calvary Chapel 14 — At Tonopah, the Lions fell to the Rams when the game was called with just more than five minutes left because of lightning, as Calvary Chapel (0-1) was driving.
Rite of Passage returned an interception and fumble recovery for scores.
• Hurricane (Utah) 38, Moapa Valley 12 — At Overton, the Pirates fell behind 28-12 at the half and were unable to rally.
Matt Newton carried 18 times for 77 yards and two touchdowns and caught five passes for 115 yards to lead Moapa Valley (0-2).
• Pahranagat Valley 72, Laughlin 20 — At Laughlin, the Panthers (2-0) routed the Cougars (1-1) in a downpour.In-depth high school sports coverage