Florida has reinstated quarterback Treon Harris after his accuser withdrew her sexual assault complaint on Friday.
“This means she is not pursuing criminal charges against him at this time but maintains the right to do so in the future,” Janine Sikes, the university’s assistant vice president of media relations, said in a statement.
The university will not proceed with any action against Harris. Gators coach Will Muschamp released a statement saying Harris had been reinstated, but would not play Saturday against LSU.
Harris posted on his Instagram account Friday, “I wanna thank everybody who supported me through this whole situation with the prayers and the love. #TheComeBack #GodIsGreat.”
Huntley Johnson, Harris’ attorney, confirmed the complaint had been dropped. Johnson also said that Harris had been informed he “is no longer banned from campus” and is permitted to “resume UF activities.”
“The young lady who claimed that Treon Harris sexually battered her has withdrawn her complaint,” Johnson said. “I am pleased for Treon Harris and his family. The ball is in the university’s court,” he added before Muschamp released his statement.
“We have been notified that the university and legal process is complete,” Muschamp said. “This has been a learning experience for everyone involved. Treon has been honest with me throughout the process and is looking forward to rejoining his teammates.”
Harris, 19, was suspended by the school and the University Athletic Association on Monday when university police began an investigation into an accusation that Harris sexually assaulted a female student at an on-campus residence hall early Sunday morning.
Multiple sources close to the football program told ESPN.com that the accuser is also an athlete at the university.
Harris, a true freshman, came off the bench and rallied the Gators to a 10-9 victory at Tennessee last Saturday. He had been placed on an “interim suspension,” which banned him from campus and all team activities. He had been allowed to take online courses.
The UF campus police crime log shows authorities were called at 12:49 a.m. Monday to Springs Residential Complex, a group of on-campus apartments, to investigate a sexual battery allegation by a female student.
On Thursday, Johnson said accusations of sexual assault and forced entry into a woman’s on-campus apartment were unfounded.
“He is not guilty of a crime and he did not mistreat this young lady in any way that night,” Johnson said.
Harris’ attorney said the woman who filed the complaint was the “aggressor” and claimed Harris had never been in the woman’s room.
“We understand that all of the evidence was gathered from our client’s room, which is where the interaction between the two parties took place,” Johnson said.
“We know that an individual has given testimony to law enforcement that he had sexual relations with the alleged victim less than an hour before the alleged sexual conduct with our client took place. In fact, testimony indicates that the young lady in question was the sexual aggressor in that interaction.”