Ray Rice was reflective in a “Today” show interview Tuesday morning, saying he hopes to play again in the NFL but will continue to examine himself as a person and a husband.
The former Baltimore Ravens running back was reinstated to the NFL on Friday when his indefinite suspension was lifted after an appeal, but so far he has not landed a job.
According to reports, four or more teams have shown interest in Rice.
“They would have to be willing to look deeper into who I am and realize that me and my wife had one bad night, and I took full responsibility for it,” Rice said. “And one thing about my punishment and everything going along with anything that happened is that I’ve accepted it.
“I went fully forward with it. I never complained, or I never did anything like that. I took full responsibility for everything that I did, and the only thing I can hope for and wish for is a second chance.”
Rice appeared in the interview with his wife, Janay, and her parents. Their domestic violence case drew national attention in September when video surfaced that showed Rice knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City, N.J., hotel elevator.
If an NFL job doesn’t materalize, Rice said he would accept it and be willing to sacrifice for his wife to make her future better.
Rice apologized for all that his family and his wife’ family have endured because of the incident and the attention it generated.
“We all just want our lives back,” he said. “I realize football was one thing, but now I realize that the amount of people we’ve affected, the amount of families we’ve affected, that domestic violence is a real issue in society.
“We could take our one bad night, it just happened to be on video, but we are truly sorry to the people that are really going through it. You know, it’s a real problem. And I know when the time is right, I know my wife wants to help, I know I want to help.”