ad-fullscreen

Maris’ son goes to bat for record

In the wake of Mark McGwire’s confession that he used steroids, the family of Roger Maris wants the season home run record back.

Relatives of Maris, who hit 61 home runs in 1961 for the major league record until McGwire shattered it with 70 bombs in 1998, are sympathetic toward him and forgive him. Still, they think their father should be recognized as the home run king, even though Barry Bonds went on to top McGwire with 73 homers in 2001.

“Obviously, I think my dad still holds the record,” Rich Maris told the San Francisco Chronicle. “Too many things have gone on, and now this has come out.

“It’s just the way it is. … We think baseball will end up doing the right things with the records. We think baseball will get it right, whether they restore the record or make some sort of mark on what’s what … I think baseball will figure it out.”

He might have to wait until a real commissioner is in place. Current commish Bud Selig has shown no inclination or willingness to set things straight when it comes to cheaters and records.

• HOUSE OF HORRORS — Just when you think you’ve heard every possible excuse for losing, here come the New York Knicks, a franchise that knows a little something about the subject, with a new one.

The Knicks lost to the Oklahoma City Thunder, 106-88, on Monday and blamed it on their hotel.

That’s right. Their hotel.

For two days, several players had trouble sleeping because they were convinced their downtown hotel in Oklahoma City, the Skirvin Hilton, was haunted.

“I definitely believe it,” Jared Jeffries told the New York Daily News. “The place is haunted. It’s scary.”

Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday because he couldn’t stop thinking about ghosts roaming the hotel.

For years, guests staying at the Hilton have reported ghost sightings and strange noises. Legend has it that sometime in the 1930s, a woman jumped to her death while holding her baby in her hands.

“They said it happened on the 10th floor, and I’m the only one staying on the 10th floor,” Curry said. “That’s why I spent most of my time in (Nate Robinson’s) room.”

• ENOUGH IS ENOUGH — Super middleweight Jermain Taylor confirmed Tuesday what had been speculated for the past couple of months, that he is leaving boxing.

The 31-year-old former middleweight champ said in a statement he is quitting the Super Six super middleweight tournament and taking a break after getting knocked out by Arthur Abraham on Oct. 17.

Taylor, 28-4-1 with 17 knockouts, hasn’t been the same since Kelly Pavlik beat him in 2007 with a seventh-round KO. He has lost four of his last five fights, and his losses April 25 to Carl Froch and Oct. 17 to Abraham were vicious battles that took a lot out of him.

Taylor was supposed to fight Andre Ward in April.

Perhaps his manager and promoter, Lou DiBella, was right all along. He had begged Taylor to quit, and when he wouldn’t, DiBella walked away from him. Maybe now they can reconcile with Taylor hanging up his gloves.

COMPILED BY STEVE CARP LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

section-ads_high_impact_4
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
pos-2 — ads_infeed_1
post-4 — ads_infeed_2
Local Spotlight
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like