UFC drops plans for year-round drug testing program

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said the Cung Le situation taught the organization some valuable lessons.

The immediate impact of the fiasco is that the UFC has abandoned plans to implement its own year-round drug-testing program.

The UFC announced a test administered to Le by the organization after his fight in Macau in August showed 18 times the allowable limit for human growth hormone, but Le challenged the results based on what he called faulty testing procedures and raised questions about the lab.

There was also an unclear appeals process. Le was initially given a nine-month suspension, which was later extended to 12 months somewhat arbitrarily.

Le had reportedly agreed to the original penalty, but fought it when it was extended. He has since requested his release from the organization and joined a class-action lawsuit against the UFC.

White said the entire ordeal was “a real eye-opener.”

“Our legal team completely screwed that thing up,” he said. “We have no business doing drug testing. We (expletive) it up, and we will (expletive) it up again. That’s what the commission is there to do.”

White said instead of implementing its own program, the UFC will provide more money to state athletic commissions.

“What we’ll do is we’ll help fund it so they can do better drug testing, more drug testing,” he said. “They can handle it. They’re the regulators.”

■ UFC 185 SET — Lightweight champion Anthony Pettis will defend his belt against Rafael dos Anjos in the main event of UFC 185 in Dallas on March 14.

It will be the second title defense for Pettis, who submitted Gilbert Melendez on Dec. 6.

Dos Anjos has won three straight fights and eight out of nine to get into title contention. He is coming off a decision victory over Nate Diaz on Dec. 13.

The lone loss in that stretch came to Khabib Nurmagomedov in April 2014. Nurmagomedov, who is 22-0, was supposed to be next in line to fight Pettis, but he is currently sidelined with a knee injury and likely won’t be able to fight until late spring or early summer.

Pettis missed more than a year before his last fight, however, and requested a quick turnaround.

A welterweight title bout between champion Robbie Lawler and former champ Johny Hendricks was thought to be under consideration to headline UFC 185. Lawler fought four times in 2014 and wanted some time off before his next fight.

White confirmed, however, that Lawler and Hendricks will fight for a third time. There was a possiblity Lawler’s first title defense would come against Rory MacDonald, but White said he will have to wait.

■ FIGHT PASS EXPANDS — UFC officials announced Saturday the addition of several fight libraries to its offerings on subscription streaming service Fight Pass.

Once all the new footage is added, the service is expected to contain more than 13,000 archived fights.

The organizations added to the library are: Cage Rage, Extreme Challenge MMA, X-Treme Fighting Organization, Ultimate Challenge MMA, Hook ’N Shoot, TKO Major League MMA, King of the Cage and Pancrase.

The footage is expected to start appearing on Fight Pass in the spring.

The service already includes archived fights from the UFC, Strikeforce, Affliction and Invicta, as well as many live events.

■ SYLVIA RETIRES — Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia announced his retirement from mixed martial arts over the weekend.

Sylvia had been scheduled to fight Juliano Coutinho in a super heavyweight bout at the Mohegan Sun Resort in Uncasville, Conn., on Saturday.

Sylvia showed up for the fight weighing 371 pounds and was not granted a license to fight by commission officials. No official reason was given.

Sylvia, 38, finishes his career with a 31-10 record. He lost his last three fights.

Contact reporter Adam Hill at ahill@reviewjournal.com or 702-224-5509. Follow him on Twitter: @adamhilllvrj.

ad-high_impact_4
Covering The Cage Videos
Covering the Cage: Jones, Nunes win at UFC 232
Amanda Nunes defeats Cyborg in the women's featherweight division and Jon Jones returns to UFC as the light heavyweight champion. Covering the Cage host Heidi Fang and Adam Hill recap the UFC 232 main and co main events.
Las Vegas MMA fighter Joey Ruquet joins Copa Combate tournament
When Combate Americas' Copa Combate tournament takes place on Dec. 7, Las Vegas-based MMA fighter Joey Ruquet will step in for Gaston Reyno and compete for the $100,000 prize money in the 8-man, one night featherweight tournament.
Espino, Chiasson claim UFC contracts with wins at TUF 28 Finale
Juan Espino was crowned as the TUF heavyweight winner when he submitted Justin Frazier at the finale in Las Vegas and Macy Chiasson submitted Pannie Kianzad to become the TUF 28 women's featherweight winner.
Kamaru Usman excited for what's next after TUF 28 win
After taking a win over Rafael dos Anjos at the TUF 28 Finale, UFC welterweight Kamaru Usman says he can be ready for anything that comes next or a quick turnaround if it gets him closer to a title shot.
Dana White on what's next for Usman and the flyweight division
UFC president Dana White spoke with media after the TUF 28 Finale to discuss what's next for the flyweight division and the main event winner, UFC welterweight Kamaru Usman.
Dos Anjos and Usman TUF 28 media day
Rafael dos Anjos and Kamaru Usman talk about facing each other at the TUF 28 Finale at a media day leading up to the Nov. 30 contest. Their welterweight bout will serve as the main event.
TOP NEWS
News Headlines
Home Front Page Footer Listing
Circular
You May Like

You May Like