April 12, 2017 - 9:56 am
Updated April 12, 2017 - 7:34 pm
UFC star Nate Diaz will be getting a check from the Nevada Athletic Commission.
During a Wednesday morning meeting at Grant Sawyer Building, the NAC voted unanimously to a reduced sanction against Diaz for his role in a news conference fracas at the MGM Grand in August.
Diaz was fined $50,000 and ordered to do 50 hours of community service by the commission after a December hearing.
An agreement negotiated between Diaz and the commission before Wednesday called for the penalty to be reduced to $15,000 and 15 hours of community service. Diaz had paid the fine and will get a refund of $35,000.
The disciplinary action stemmed from an altercation after a news conference to promote his rematch against Conor McGregor. Diaz and his entourage abruptly left the event, which prompted both sides to hurl water bottles and cans of energy drinks at one another in the presence of fans.
McGregor was originally ordered to pay a $75,000 fine, perform 50 hours of community service and spend at least an additional $75,000 producing an anti-bullying video.
The NAC amended that penalty to $25,000 and 25 hours of community service during a meeting last month after McGregor bashed the decision and flew to Las Vegas to meet with NAC chairman Anthony Marnell III and executive director Bob Bennett.
At that time, the commission also said it would review the sanction against Diaz.
Commissioners unanimously voted to rehear the Diaz case on Wednesday morning, then quickly approved the settlement agreement.
Diaz was believed to be on the phone, but did not respond to a question during the proceeding. An attorney for the enigmatic fighter said his client was vacationing in Hawaii and might have set the phone down because it was about 6 a.m. there.
“He is fine with the agreement,” his attorney said.
Diaz has not fought since losing the rematch to McGregor in August.
Contact Adam Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 702-277-8028. Follow @adamhilllvrj on Twitter.