American swimmers not allowed to leave Brazil until they testify about robbery
Two Olympic swimmers were taken off their flight from Brazil to the U.S. on Wednesday by local authorities amid an investigation into a reported robbery targeting Ryan Lochte and his teammates.
August 17, 2016 - 10:11 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO — Two Olympic swimmers were taken off their flight from Brazil to the U.S. on Wednesday by local authorities amid an investigation into a reported robbery targeting Ryan Lochte and his teammates.
A lawyer for the two athletes said they will not be allowed to leave Brazil until they provide testimony to investigators, who are still searching answers about how the swimmers got robbed Sunday morning along with teammate Ryan Lochte.
Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz left the Rio de Janeiro airport for an unspecified location in Brazil and had yet to testify, attorney Sergio Viegas said. The swimmers did not speak to reporters upon leaving the airport and getting shuttled away in a black car waiting outside.
The action comes amid increasing tension between Brazilian authorities and the American swimmers over the ever-changing account of the robbery. Police have found little evidence so far to support their claims, and say the swimmers were unable to provide key details in interviews.
Lochte is a 12-time Olympic medalist whose accomplishments in the pool have long been overshadowed by teammate Michael Phelps — the most decorated Olympian in history. He won a gold in Rio in a relay race alongside Phelps.
Lochte has said he was with Conger, Bentz and Jimmy Feigen when they were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the athletes village from a party, several hours after the last Olympic swimming events were held.
NBC reported Wednesday night that Lochte backed off some of his earlier claims. He now says the taxi wasn’t pulled over but that they were robbed after making a stop at a gas station, NBC reported. Lochte also said the assailant pointed a gun at him rather than putting it to his head.
Lochte has returned home to the U.S., while the other three swimmers remain in Brazil.
Patrick Sandusky, U.S. Olympic Committee spokesperson, said Conger and Bentz were detained and “released by local authorities with the understanding that they would continue their discussions about the incident on Thursday. James Feigen is also communicating with local authorities and intends to make further statements regarding the incident on Thursday as well.”
A Brazilian judge earlier ordered the seizure of Lochte and Feigen’s passports. The office of Judge Keyla Blanc said in a statement that there were discrepancies in Lochte and Feigen’s statements.
The U.S. Olympic Committee said police went to the athletes village to try to collect the passports, but the swim team had already moved out. Representatives from the U.S. consulate arrived at the airport shortly after the swimmers were held.
Lochte’s father, Steve Lochte, told The Associated Press by phone from his Florida home that his son called him Tuesday after arriving in the United States. The 32-year-old swimmer was going to pick up his car and buy a new wallet to replace the one that he said was stolen in the robbery.
“I’m just happy he’s safe,” the elder Lochte said. “It was an unfortunate experience for him and the other three. I don’t know what all the controversy is. They were basically taken out of the taxi and robbed. The main thing is he’s very lucky that he’s safe and that all they got was his cash and wallet.”
The group did not call police, authorities said, and officers began investigating once they saw media reports in which Lochte’s mother spoke about the robbery. Police interviewed Lochte and one other swimmer, who said they had been intoxicated and could not remember what type and color of taxi they rode in or where the robbery happened, the police official said. The swimmers also could not say what time the events occurred.
A police official with knowledge of the investigation told the AP that police cannot find their taxi driver or witnesses from the robbery. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.
Lochte’s attorney, Jeff Ostrow, has said there is no question the robbery occurred.
“Why would anybody fabricate anything?” Steve Lochte said. “It’s just ridiculous.”
Lochte described the incident to NBC’s “Today” show.
“We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over,” Lochte said. “They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn’t do anything wrong, so — I’m not getting down on the ground.
“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, ‘Get down,’ and I put my hands up, I was like ‘whatever.’ He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cellphone, he left my credentials.”
Lochte told USA Today that he and his teammates didn’t initially tell the U.S. Olympic officials about the robbery “because we were afraid we’d get in trouble.”
Steve Bentz, father of Gunnar Bentz, when reached by phone late Wednesday night, said: “I really don’t want to say anything,” and hung up.
Ryan Lochte, 3 other swimmers say they were robbed at gunpoint in Rio