UNLV sophomore Seung-su Han shot par 71 Friday and is tied for the individual lead after the second round of the Mountain West Conference Men’s Golf Championship at Tucson, Ariz.
Han, Texas Christian’s Robby Ormand and San Diego State’s Adam Porzak are at 6-under-par 136 with one round left on the Catalina course at Tucson National.
The Rebels shot 9-over 293 and are second in the team standings at par 568. Brigham Young shot 4-over 288 and leads at 8-under 560. TCU is third at 569, followed by San Diego State at 571.
UNLV junior C.J. Gatto shot 2-over 73 and is tied for ninth at 1-under 141. Freshman Brett Kanda shot 75 and is tied for 17th at 146. Junior Jarred Texter shot 74 and is tied for 21st at 147. Sophomore Eddie Olson shot 77 and is tied for 27th at 148.
• UNLV MEN’S TENNIS — The Rebels advanced to their first league final since 2001 with a 4-0 upset of No. 68 TCU in the Mountain West Conference tournament at Colorado Springs, Colo.
Third-seeded UNLV, which has posted three straight shutouts, will take a 12-13 record into today’s title match against BYU. The No. 5 Cougars upset top-seeded San Diego State 4-3 in the other semifinal. The Rebels defeated BYU 5-2 in the regular season.
Singles winners for UNLV were Elliot Wronski, Slavko Bijelica, Wesley Burrows, Brett Hunter, David Campbell and Luca Barlocchi. The doubles teams of Burrows-Jonathan Hooper and Bijelica-Campbell won their matches.
• UNLV WOMEN’S TENNIS — The 56th-ranked Rebels upset No. 38 TCU 4-2 to advance to the final of the Mountain West Conference tournament at Colorado Springs, Colo.
Third-seeded UNLV (19-6) will be going for its third MWC title when it meets 31st-ranked BYU today. The top-seeded Cougars, who defeated New Mexico 4-1 in the other semifinal, have beaten the Rebels nine straight times.
Elena Gantcheva, Linda Tempelfelde, Alisa Razina and Claire Smith won singles matches for UNLV. In doubles, the teams of Gantcheva-Kristina Nedeltcheva and Razina-Smith won.
• UNLV SOFTBALL — The Rebels lost to Colorado State 2-1 and 4-3 at Eller Media Stadium.
The Rams broke a 1-1 tie in the seventh inning to win the first game. Kendall Fearn drove in the Rebels’ run with a sixth-inning single that scored Brittany Bolinger.
UNLV (32-23, 7-4 Mountain West) fell behind 4-0 in the second game.
• CCSN BASEBALL — Jeff Gonzales was hit by a pitch to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning, then scored on a wild pitch with two out to give the Coyotes a 4-3 victory over College of Southern Idaho in the first game of a doubleheader at Morse Stadium.
The Community College of Southern Nevada (37-16, 27-11 Scenic West Athletic Conference) lost the second game, 4-0.
• CCSN SOFTBALL — Kelly Griego pitched a two-hitter with 10 strikeouts and no walks to spark the Coyotes to a 5-1 victory over College of Southern Idaho in the first game of a doubleheader at Twins Falls, Idaho.
CCSN (29-15, 25-13 SWAC) lost the second game, 8-5.UNLV Sports